Polynucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadnlad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A few and some more
Are there any other polynucs out there that take 14x12 frames other than Paynes/Maisies/Parks/BSHoneybees ?

I'm planning ahead a bit and considering my options for overwintering

Are there any other polynucs out there that take 14x12 frames other than Paynes/Maisies/Parks/BSHoneybees ?

I'm planning ahead a bit and considering my options for overwintering
Abelo

Keep an eye on the quality of those nucs made by smaller suppliers/odd hive types, the poly is often at a lesser density than the larger producers/swienty and prone to damage and chewing by the bees.

The BS poly nuc really are a cut above the maisies IMO.

Absolutely solid construction, nice dual design for queen rearing, deep roofs and nice feeders.

The silicone plug is invaluable for overwintering as it means you can add fondant with very minimal disturbance.

I'm getting rid of all my maisies gear and converting to BS.

The BS poly nuc really are a cut above the maisies IMO.

Absolutely solid construction, nice dual design for queen rearing, deep roofs and nice feeders.

The silicone plug is invaluable for overwintering as it means you can add fondant with very minimal disturbance.

I'm getting rid of all my maisies gear and converting to BS.

They are solid, indeed. Have you come up with any crownboard solution ?

They are solid, indeed. Have you come up with any crownboard solution ?

That splendid chap...Paul Sullivan of Bee Supplies Dublin has anticipated your problem. Clear crown boards, 2mm thick are available from him, discounts no doubt available for bulk purchases! I understand that similar nucs in the Langstroth format will be available at some stage.

I never use crow boards on nucs or hives.

Hives, I leave a wireframe excluder and poly Miller feeder on all year.

Nucs just have the feeder left on.

BS are top bee space so don't have any issues with crushed bees or stuck boxes

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

No. There tip top.

This one got left out for a day or two in the sun!

They are so soft compared to the BS ones.

No ability to add fondant which I find is critical in overwintering a nuc if it's a long winter

ee7b08417eae18ac3040e91c8978be65.jpg

The only national sized poly nuc abelo seems to stock is the maisimore one? I''d love to see them attempt one, the full sized hives are very good.

Keep an eye on the quality of those nucs made by smaller suppliers/odd hive types, the poly is often at a lesser density than the larger producers/swienty and prone to damage and chewing by the bees.

Swienty is prone to chewing as well. Caveat emptor!

Maisies all day long, there isn't a bad thing about them

Maisimores are good but give the BS one a try, they are excellent comparatively.

I never use crow boards on nucs or hives.

Hives, I leave a wireframe excluder and poly Miller feeder on all year.

Nucs just have the feeder left on.

BS are top bee space so don't have any issues with crushed bees or stuck boxes

wire frame excluder (wooden frame?) These are great means of losing/redistributing heat.
poly Miller feeder - these can mean the comb area is cooler as the hot air pools in the feeder.

Surely no more so than a wooden crownboard?

If you need to add fondant surly the simplest solution would be to turn a feeder upside down?

I do this on nucs and full colonies then they need a bit of a boost of sugar through the winter and into spring.

It's pretty effective.

If you turn the maisemore feeder upside down you halve the wall thickness and its effectively balancing there as there is no rebate.

Also means you have to take the feeder off and turn it around, which is a huge winter disruption for them.

BS solution is way better.

Latest posts

Back