polynucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkranger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 Nats and 1 tbh
Please remember, if overwintering or keeping bees in a polynuc with the circular entrance discs, to secure in the correct position required with a drawing pin to ensure that it does not move. Unfortunately I didn't and a full box of overwintered bees got confined to quarters for 5 or six days when mine shifted and I have at the least a bad case of dysentery.

same applies all year round - at least in winter they expect to be confined to home and have stores but little or no brood to feed.

Heres another tip, when you first put bees in a Nuc & feed them, make sure the plastic insert is removed. I did this with a paynes poly nuc, i had used 2 new ones no problem as you have to fit the strip but i borrowed one in a rush, lets just say the bees didnt get fed for a week! Luckily i realised when i wondered why the feed hadnt gone down & luckily there was some food in the frames.

Best to use a cut down plastic Qexcluder in the slot to prevent HM drowning.

Best to use a cut down plastic Qexcluder in the slot to prevent HM drowning.

Good idea, the new ones are slotted like a mini QE, but this was sn older nuc with a solid strip.

Latest posts

Back