Poly nuc new

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take it back - it's just arrived. Lid a bit bashed on the corners, otherwise a nice enough bit of kit.

:iagree:
Mine arrive this afternoon from Paynes.

Although I think the MB lang nuc is slightly better designed with its separate floor section, removable mesh, and more substantial roof but both are excellent value for money.

Not being difficult or being critical but before shouting the praises can we establish a thing or three.

Density?

Long levity/durability

Suitability.

Then comment.

PH

They look and feel pretty tough actualy.
However I am not an expert as far as Hives go,
so would appreciate feedback re this

'Its made from a very high density material, 90g - 100g/litre - up to 3 times stronger than what is used for packaging.'

As to longevity I would imagine that it would be similar to other 100g/litre polyhives.

Rooftops pointed out that the narrow feeder maybe difficult to paint (a wise move in a PH) but that shouldn't be an insurmountable problem.

Haven't seen mine yet as they haven't yet arrived!

G.

'Its made from a very high density material, 90g - 100g/litre - up to 3 times stronger than what is used for packaging.'

G.

Was in discussion with our maker this afternoon in Scandinavia.

A new National/Smith nuc box will be on the market later this year in 100-120g/L material. Price will be about £15 retail.

Price will be about £15 retail.

Definitely an attractive proposition, especially given the provenance. However I have an Awards for All grant needing spent up soon so can't wait. We have a class of about 30 beginners though so there will be local customers for sure.

G.

PS If you've had that delivery of roofs and floors I'll be stopping by again soon.

The sugar syrup can be expected to seep into the material of the nuc. Contrary to what you might expect the surface layer of expanded poly is porous.

Last edited:
I have some on order. what type of paint do you paint the inside of the feeder and is it any advantage to paint the outside of the nuc as well.

i didn't know about painting the inside of the feeders. i didn't bother with any of the poly nucs - but I mostly use fondant in them, but still, now that is an extra job.

Last edited:
You should also paint the outside as UV will damage the plastic over time and water seeping into the tiny cracks in the surface will freeze in cold weather and slowly weaken the surface. A bit like potholes in roads.

The picture below shows poly supers in storage at a bee farm. The bee farmer would not waste his time painting them if it was not necessary. This is not to say you can't use them unpainted but they will not last as long. The oldest in the picture below are over 20 years old.

Gloss acrylic is excellent for the inside of feeders but you can use more or less any sort of paint but you must put on 3 to 4 coats.

4369407677_fd569f120e_b.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back