Poly hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Excession

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have picked up some new poly hives, 2x double brood and plenty of supers.
I intended to move two of my colonies into them this weekend.
After painting and stacking them, I notice there is a one mm gap all the way round on all of them (except the corner pillars).
After phoning the store they tell me the gap will close up once loaded with frames and bees...
Anybody vouch for this? I don't want to waste time and effort swapping over to have to undo it!

Also on each box there is an injection mould 'dimple' which looks to be an entrance point for wasps and robbers... Any advice on plugging it?

Looking for those with practical experience not theory please!

Looking for those with practical experience not theory please!
I'm not sure which manufacturer you have but I use Paradise Honey Langstroths. The only gaps I've seen are at the corners where they fit together. I understand that some people glue them together with PVA glue but I don't bother. I just sit on them and the gap tightens up.
Where is the gap you see?
Duct tape works wonders for any small gaps that you might get over time. The bees don't mind a bit.

Last edited:
These sound like Paynes. I worry about the dimple but it has never been a true problem if you keep everything square, esp with wood over poly. There are repair kits you could use or I have considered other fillers eg bodywork.

Make sure there is not too much paint on the stand lugs that connect to the brood if using paynes. I just put one coat of masonry on these then 3 all over the rest. J

Polyfilla for any repairs, but any solvent free filler will do.
Any gaps I had disappeared once I tightened the strap for the first time.

Back