Poly Hive Filler?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
What is the best thing to use to fill gaps INSIDE the hive?
I'm referring especially to filling the gaps you get making a 14x12 paynes nuc from a BS Nat box and an eke.
Husband waved a builders' caulk gun at me....but I wasn't sure

Stop it!!!!
This is a serious matter.
I'm fed up chasing bees that might be The Queen out of said nooks :)

Anyway.....it's probably Haggis and Chips.

I put gaffer tape around the outside
They have been like that since may and still going strong
Hope that helps xx

Fibreglass car body filler - I use P38 as it's easy to work and not too hard to rub down smooth. But any of them will do the job. The bees don't seem to mind and don't chew it out - I also give it a coat or propolis varnish ...

I do not have poly hives so no ignore if it sounds stupid. I would try normal wood filler as proven non toxic to my bees in wooden hives and I don't think the resin would attack polystyrene. If you want natural, I would use a bit of tape and let the bees propolise it or maybe you can fill it with beeswax?

The best repair glue to polyhives is Bison PU jelly tube. IT does not drill. It makes glass hard result.

Then normal PU = polyurehane glue. Hardens wirh water.

Use a piece of polystyrene box. Dip it into water and glue it with PU.

PU glue makes some foam. When it hardens, push the foam with finger that it makes tight surfage. You may cut the foam too.

If the bees have sewed the corner of entrance, cut from an extra polyhive wall piece a proper sparepart, and glue it into the site. Make the hole bigger that repair part is easier to install.

Protect your fingers for the glue. And clothes too.

Latest posts

Back