Pollination

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bates

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been offered a few Pollination contracts for next season on Apples & Borage.

I have never dealt with Pollination before and without speaking to Alan first, what sort of rates are standard to be charging?

The Borage is not too far from me so in all fairness if it returns a decent crop thats good enough for me but if the farmers offering to pay for our services I would rather cut a decent deal. (The guy wants 100 hives for this alone)

Any help would be appreciated

Dan

In 2013 it was £57 a hive for top fruit, of which BFA take a small percentage.

I have a feeling borage was similar but not sure. Like you I'd be inclined to accept less for borage as it's potentially a bonus being in full flower beyond the end of natural forage, but shifting 100 hives twice is no small task so it's realistic to charge something.

Hi Chris, thanks for the response. I'm assuming thats for the whole period? As my deal is directly with the farmer I assume BFA don't have any rights to take a percentage correct?

Dan

That's right Dan, it was £57 for the whole period but I think the contract stated a maximum number of weeks (4 or 5) after which an incremental amount was payable if the hives continued on site at the farmers request.
If it's a contract you organize then BFA are not entitled to anything. Advantage of a BFA contract is you don't need to worry about getting paid as BFA will pay you and chase the farmer if necessary.

Your lucky Dan i have been trying to get some of my farmers to grow Borage with no success so far, and it not being grown anywhere near me I can only dream, i have seen a table of pollination charges somewhere, i think it was in the BFA publications or website, but i could be wrong, I will have a look when i have a minute, i was offered a contract by the BFA for field beans that was £350 for 10 colonies, that has been the one and only contract i have been offered by them, i guess there is little or no pollination required around here.

Your lucky Dan i have been trying to get some of my farmers to grow Borage with no success so far, and it not being grown anywhere near me I can only dream

I have been on the search for local Borage growers for a while and this one only came to me by chance. Still nothings 100% the minute, may all fall through yet!

I'd appreciate if you came across those tables as it would be helpful (or direct me to the right place)

Dan

Could anyone clarify if pollination attracts VAT? A we are recently VAT registered and I am aware bees are zero rated. We are doing some OSR pollination via the bee farmers and Allan has not got back to us yet.

Could anyone clarify if pollination attracts VAT? A we are recently VAT registered and I am aware bees are zero rated. We are doing some OSR pollination via the bee farmers and Allan has not got back to us yet.

I suggest that you pm Jack Straw as he seems to be more up to date on such matters than I am.
In theory, you're providing a service which should be VATable, but, food is non-VAT. I suppose it might depend on what the borage is being grown for. If it is gla, the food argument won't hold water.

Hi, Alan has confirmed they are Zero Rated for Pollination.

The BFA National Pollination Scheme exists to provide a service to members and to ensure fairness (and some protection) in arrangements. Members get paid by the BFA, which protects the bee farmer from non-payment or delayed payment by the farmer. Additionally, members get the benefit of advice from a highly experienced pollination expert. BFA, of course, has to cover its costs to provide this service, but as with other services, the pollination service is offered primarily as a benefit of membership. The more that arrange their contracts through the service, the greater profile it gets and the more likely bee farmers will receive a fair and sustainable price for their valuable pollination work. I would urge members to talk to pollination secretary Alan Hart in the first instance if they are considering any pollination work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back