Pollination Contracts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiftyjon

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
a few more than 10
I'm wondering if anyone on here would be prepared to enlighten me as to how they prepare their colonies for pollination contracts.
I have just had a little look at the new BFA website and came across the pollination service information and wondered about it.

Forgive me for maybe sounding a little beginner 'ish but this would be a new venture for me in my beekeeping.

Any information or advice would be gratefully received. :thanks:

if you go to the near bottom of the pollination page there is a link that explains exactly the requirements from the beekeeper and the farmer

I guess what they are saying is, they want full productive colonies bursting with bees and not colonies that are building up or nuc`s so they will maximize pollination of the crop, thus giving the farmer value for money, i have as yet not done any paid pollination, but i would ready the colonies as i would to take them to the rape, borage etc Chris

Thanks, I understand the requirements and the position with the farmer but what I was wondering was how those that have pollination contracts prepare their colonies in regard to distance.
If the pollination contract is to move colonies many miles away how do others cater for that, I'm thinking about inspections, space, stores etc.

:thanks:

Do you get on beesource Johnathon, their commercial section is full of information, I know things are a little different over there but bees are bees wherever they are and they do a lot more pollination than we do, just a thought

Do you get on beesource Johnathon, their commercial section is full of information, I know things are a little different over there but bees are bees wherever they are and they do a lot more pollination than we do, just a thought

Thanks Kevin, I have had a glance or two but nothing in any great depth, I'll investigate further.

If the pollination contract is to move colonies many miles away how do others cater for that, I'm thinking about inspections, space, stores etc.
:thanks:

Make sure they have adequate ventilation for the move, have plenty of room, enough stores to last a couple of weeks at least, and carry out inspections as normal when needed.

I took 25 hives to Kent this year for a long contract. 170 miles away so no chance to do regular inspections.
What I did was select colonies that made the grade but were not bursting with bees, put 2 supers on (Langstroth medium) and just left them. Queens were all clipped too. Then they just got left for 8 weeks.
End result was a little bit of swarming but not severe. I did catch 2 swarms in bait hives left on site. About 10 of them had supers stuffed with honey and most had a half decent crop. The downside is a couple had obviously swarmed and then been robbed. On balance, the regular inspections would have helped but not worth travelling that far to do it. I didn't lose out but the pollination fee just about compensated for expenses and moderate loss of honey due to swarming and robbing.
End result is I will only do it again for cashflow reasons, although I've probably said that before! If I could get contracts closer to home then different story entirely.

Thanks Chris, that's helpful. My thinking was along the lines of if the location was miles away then attempting to limit the risks of losing swarms by giving additional space but if the site was closer then more regular inspections may be cost effective. The matter of stores if the weather turns would be a concern though.

Have you watched Mike Palmers video or were you there, if you have then you know what pollination can do

I saw the one about sustainable beekeeping that HM put a link to the other week, I'm guessing there are others.

Back