Pollen supplement trial - R Oliver

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using Feed Bee.... but may need to up the quantity given... and feed earlier!

Yeghes da

Worth bearing i mind this is for bees in the 'green desert' of american agriculture, with no natural forage whatsoever.

Worth bearing i mind this is for bees in the 'green desert' of american agriculture, with no natural forage whatsoever.

I would say the same. Cause at my place there are times with less or more pollen available, but not complete dearth of it. In fact I put in patties pollen substitute proteins just to have patties with better consistency not for pollen feeding. Even now in winter, every available day for flight bees go and bring nice amounts of pollen from hazel, cornel, wild flowers, soon from willows and so on. But some has no such luck..
So every place is different, even in microlocations can be huge differences. Even if they are relative near.

One "funny" example, few seasons ago I was selling in bulk black locust honey and potential buyer took sample of the honey and will let me know the estimated quality and price for such..
They said that in my honey are too many of pollen grains of one other plant ( false indigo bush) which at nearest air distance there is no for 20km.. But if wanted to say OK, maybe there is some I don't know for - I extracted black locust honey before or at very beginning of flowering of false indigo bush in that area.. So it was situation to laugh or to cry. I choosed to laugh outloud.. Luckily I had space for financial manouver and searched for other buyer. At "my surprise" he said no word on quality..
I would say, they watched the chart and saw my place is near place where are tons of false indigo bush and that they can use to lower me the price.. But these charts can be tricky..

Last edited:
. Note this was a trial of autumn supplementation.

That sounds bad. Suplement does not produce good winter bees.

So this experiment tries to research, how to avoid CDD. But there are much more wider research about this issue.

Once I reared 6 wintered colonies with pollen patty. Build up was great before autumn but all colonies were in miserable condition in spring. Vain job. And that was enough to me. With pollen stored in combs during midsummer bees develope normally for winter.

Artificiall suplement feeding has been researched in USA since 1977. About 40 years. Australians have modern research too. Do you think that 2-hive owners give some new light to this issue?

Latest posts

Back