Pollen Sub

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Erichalfbee,

Apologies, was being a bit OTT there, yes that might work. Gentle warming might help crystallised honey be removed from the plastic frames. I saw a video on my face book last week , it was Russian guy and showed him trying to crack open the frames of the Flow hive with the tools provided. Well i was wincing at the screen watching it. he turned the handle around four times, to the sound of squeaking plastic, it was unbearable LOL. If i can find it again i will copy the link in to the flow hive section. This was my main concern with using the flow hive here, especially for spring honey. A few days too late and your in manure trade. However this off topic from Pollen sub!!

Last edited:
Erichalfbee,

Apologies, was being a bit OTT there, yes that might work. Gentle warming might help crystallised honey be removed from the plastic frames. I saw a video on my face book last week , it was Russian guy and showed him trying to crack open the frames of the Flow hive with the tools provided. Well i was wincing at the screen watching it. he turned the handle around four times, to the sound of squeaking plastic, it was unbearable LOL. If i can find it again i will copy the link in to the flow hive section. This was my main concern with using the flow hive here, especially for spring honey. A few days too late and your in manure trade. However this off topic from Pollen sub!!

That video was apparently in Polish and Karol explained it in http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=515122#post515122

CVB

- 500 g sugar + 125 ml yeast culture + 375 ml water (25%).

- 500 g sugar + 250 ml yeast culture + 250 ml water (50%).

Hi all,

Does the above mentioned yeast, dry bakery yeast or brewer's yeast?

Regards, thanks
Kempo

Last edited:
Hi all,

Does the above mentioned yeast, dry bakery yeast or brewer's yeast?

Regards, thanks
Kempo

That yeast culture thing can only make harms to the hive.
Even if you put fresh yeast to the hive, 80% is water. It would be easy to feed fresh yeast to bees, but they do not eate it.

That yeast culture thing can only make harms to the hive.
Even if you put fresh yeast to the hive, 80% is water. It would be easy to feed fresh yeast to bees, but they do not eate it.

What do you recommend? If possible, get simple supplies :)

Regards, thanks.
Kempo

What do you recommend? If possible, get simple supplies :)

Regards, thanks.
Kempo

This forum is full of my recommendations.

Can you calculate how much that yeast mixture has protein, as %. Perhaps under 1%?

Get simple..... There is no such. Question is, that do bees eate simple. No. They will not.

Most simple is pollen and honey. Pollen balls have 30% honey allready.

Last edited:
Here is my recommendation

Pollen patty recipe

2 kg dry yeast1 kg soya flour. ( Fatty flour is OK) Flour must be fine grind.
1 kg irradiated pollen

4 kg sugar as 2:1 warm syrup
2-3 dl rape oil (bees did not accept olive oil)
one multivitamin pill
one multi B-vitamin pill
one mangesium pill

30% of sugar should be fructose. It takes moisture from hive air and keeps
patty soft.
Date fruits are cheaper than fructose and bees seems to love it. . Put date into hot water that it softens.

The colony eates 0,5 - 1,0 kg paty/ week. I feed them 7 weeks = total 3-5 kg/hive.

The moisture of patty is very important that bees eate it.

Keep the mixture warm when you mix it. Put the mixture in small 3 litre plastic doses that you may warm it up in micro wave oven.

Roll the patty to 1 thick layear between grease paper and put it over the top frames. Load the whole upper space with patty. It lasts one week to eate.

Is this the best?

Regards, thanks.
Kempo

2 kg dry yeast = 2 kg bakery dry yeast?

Und

irradiated pollen = fresh pollen?

Last edited:
if substituting Pollen for yeast, how does this affect the success rate?

Last edited:
if substituting Pollen for yeast, how does this affect the success rate?

Bees do not eate it. I have tried.

In my recipe relation is about this way:
2 yeast : 1 soya : 1 -1/2 pollen.

Soya makes the patty hard and after couple of days bees cannot bite it. Yeast is as good protein as soya, and it stays soft easily.

To me term "it works" means 500 g/ week, and not 200 g/week.

Last edited:
Bees do not eate it. I have tried.

In my recipe relation is about this way:
2 yeast : 1 soya : 1 -1/2 pollen.

Soya makes the patty hard and after couple of days bees cannot bite it. Yeast is as good protein as soya, and it stays soft easily.

To me term "it works" means 500 g/ week, and not 200 g/week.

got any good contacts for irradiated pollen?

Charley...bravo has true contact

I have found this contact for Irradiated Pollen - they are less costly than Hornsby Beekeeping for the pollen.
http://brownsbees.com.au/

Here is a link to an Aus beekeeping magazine where on page 39 Browns Bees has an advertisement. http://www.nswaa.com.au/assets/Uploa...v-Dec-2014.pdf

Hornsby Beekeeping Supplies in NSW Australia also sells it, at AUD $20 per kilo plus shipping. You can find shipping costs by going to the Australia Post website but it will not be cheap. In addition, there may be import duty and local sales tax to pay at the destination. All in all, you will find the price is at least doubled by the time it gets to the UK.

After I bought 1.2kg at Hornsby last week (AUD $25), I did a search for irradiation services on Google in the UK. Could not find any but they are easily found in Australia but I cannot figure out why this should be. The irradiation kills of any disease or insects lurking in the pollen, which is why they are happy to sell and use chinese pollen irradiated to Australian standards when Aussi supplies are limited.

I catch a flight tomorrow to the UK so cannot source any for anybody but t'internet is a wonderful thing.

I hope this is of interest

All the best

CVB

Interesting, but possibly too late to organise for this season.

Would be interested to know if it is beneficial in the uk, or whether the bees get enough without our help.
The long term wether forecast for the next few weeks is not looking particularly cold...

Back