Pollen in the supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanf

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a super with quite a lot of pollen left after extraction. I don't have room to freeze it, I don't need it for winter stores. Is there any way to store it until spring? Is any treatment useful to stop it going mouldy in storage?

If it doesn't go mouldy it will probably attract the wax moths. I can't be bothered to bag up whole supers with pollen in the frames to stop th moth and don't want to treat regularly with formic acid, so I just cut out the patches of cells with pollen in and render the wax. (I have not tried certan, that could be another option for you but that doesn't stop it going mouldy.)

Is it not possible to cut out the comb with the pollen - and freeze just that, rather than the entire frame?

... I don't have room to freeze it, ... Is there any way to store it until spring?

If you are short on freezer space, I'm guessing that you might not have irradiation facilities ... ;)

Latest posts

Back