polished cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10(OSB hives)1 National
Keep forgetting to ask about this. Do bees only polish cells for the queen to lay in? I'm asking because thats what everyone seems to say and I've noticed polished cells in brood comb prior to stores being put in. I'm sure most of us have but not thought much about it. Its just that I've one colony, guaranteed q- and they've been polishing cells consistently.
Now united with another after 6 weeks q-, luckily no laying workers:.)

Let's just say that bees do not store honey in dirty cells; they are rather more hygienic, than that.

Let's just say that bees do not store honey in dirty cells; they are rather more hygienic, than that.

Makes sense, but doesnt it rather make a mock of 'polished cells, thats a good sign'?

Sorry, had to ask, I mentioned it to a very experienced beek a few weeks ago, whether they polish brood cells for stores and could it be confused for polishing for eggs, she said, I really dont know.
Just seems a little odd, thats all:.)

Last edited:
Makes sense, but doesnt it rather make a mock of 'polished cells, thats a good sign'?

Sorry, had to ask, I mentioned it to a very experienced beek a few weeks ago, whether they polish brood cells for stores and could it be confused for polishing for eggs, she said, I really dont know.
Just seems a little odd, thats all:.)

'polished cells' usually refers to cells that have had brood in previously, in the brood nest area, and where an experienced bee-keeper would expect there to be eggs

Latest posts

Back