playcups sealed - what to do?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pendragon

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,
I am a beginner. Returned from hols - inspected today and there are what looks like to me, two playcups but they are sealed. They are large, dome/rounded and at the bottom of the frame but they are not long and hanging down like the queen cells I have seen in my other hive.
What action should I take? Destroy them? AS?
This was a prime swarm given to me at the end of May. There are loads of bees still so they have not swarmed yet. I didn't see the queen today.
Thanks

Probably capped drone cells.

Check your frames more carefully and then open these cells to see what is occuring, is my advice. There may be no queen, but hopefully there will be enough eggs to indicate her likely presence, even if you don't find her. No panic - you have a second colony for back up.

RAB

Perhaps and hopefully - didn't realise they were so big/domed - looking at plates in my beekeeping books it is difficult to tell the size. But that would make more sense.
There was one on one frame and another on a different frame.
In the textbooks/dvds they always seem to be a few together however as we know the bees don't follow the books all the time.

Rab wrote Check your frames more carefully and then open these cells to see what is occuring, is my advice. There may be no queen, but hopefully there will be enough eggs to indicate her likely presence, even if you don't find her. No panic - you have a second colony for back up.

Thanks RAB - good advice. I think the queen is there but as you say there is the other colony. Will open the cells - don't want to risk a swarm and upset the neighbours. I am going to get another beek over to have another opinion and another pair of eyes. (but a newbie too!)

Can you post a photo? Just possible they may be superceding.

inspected today - only one found and it was empty so sigh of relief. It did look like a capped playcup. We planned to take a picture but the bees were quite cross today so we didn't hang about. They were very interested in the camera which was black!
:thanks: for advice

Latest posts

Back