play cups

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islayhawk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
On the last two inspections I have found about 8 play cups ln the face of a frame. First time I tore out the side of them. On the second inspection they have repaired them. Unsure if I left them would they charge them and create Queen cells. Should I have left them to see if they create QC'S

Why break them down? There is no benefit in doing so. You are not really leaving them "to see if they create QC's".... Over time you will see that colonies generally maintain a few play cups on the comb throughout the year. Monitor the condidtion of the play cups: watch for the bees beginning to extend them down with new wax and keep a close eye for cups that the bees are beginning to polish. Polished play cups are an indication to look closely at all the play cups in a stock of bees. Once you see polished interiors in play cups, soon after, you will often see larvae and royal jelly in them. Not always, but often.

I only break the sides down if I can't easily see in them. They are a real indicator of future swarms. While there are always some in the hives, new ones make me look harder for queen cells!

I only break the sides down if I can't easily see in thems!

Yeah thats what I did. Went through thoroughly and no sign of QC's. Suspected that if they keep rebuilding maybe a threat of swarming. Will keep a close watch.

Latest posts

Back