Plastic sheet as crown board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooBee...

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2+ nucs
Hi all

I was wondering if any members are using a plastic sheet over the tops of their frames, in place of a crown board or placed just beneath it as well as the crown board. If so, why do you use it, or why do you think some beeks use it?

I keep seeing it being used on YouTube videos on Eastern European Hives (Russian and Ukrainian) and from what I can gather the beekeepers claim that they have no more condensation forming on them than they do with just wooden crown boards; I suppose with a good layer of insulation above it you wouldn't get condensation as the dew point wouldn't be reached.

It certainly would make it nice and easy to lift up the lid and have a quick peek in without actually opening up the hive and annoying them too much.

I make my crownboards out of 6mm polycarbonate sheet - a bit more robst than polythene and I can look in at any time without breaking the seal. I cut a round hole in the middle and then glue it to a larger square of polycaronate so that I can plug the hole when I have not got a feeder on the hive. 6mm is strong enough to support the weight of a feeder.

I prefer top beespace so I put a 6mm rim around the edge using the same material ...

Works well for me but I do know people who just use a sheet of polythene ..

Whatever works for you - try it and see.

I make my crownboards out of 6mm polycarbonate sheet - a bit more robst than polythene and I can look in at any time without breaking the seal. I cut a round hole in the middle and then glue it to a larger square of polycaronate so that I can plug the hole when I have not got a feeder on the hive. 6mm is strong enough to support the weight of a feeder.

I prefer top beespace so I put a 6mm rim around the edge using the same material ...

Hi Pargyle. 6mm poly sheet can be difficult to cut. What do you use?

Hi all

I was wondering if any members are using a plastic sheet over the tops of their frames, in place of a crown board or placed just beneath it as well as the crown board. If so, why do you use it, or why do you think some beeks use it?

I keep seeing it being used on YouTube videos on Eastern European Hives (Russian and Ukrainian) and from what I can gather the beekeepers claim that they have no more condensation forming on them than they do with just wooden crown boards; I suppose with a good layer of insulation above it you wouldn't get condensation as the dew point wouldn't be reached.

It certainly would make it nice and easy to lift up the lid and have a quick peek in without actually opening up the hive and annoying them too much.

I use clear plastic sheet which I buy from a builders merchant. The plastic sheet really just prevents them from sticking comb to the poly roof but, because it is transparent, it is easy to see the state of the colony just by taking the roof off.

Hi Pargyle. 6mm poly sheet can be difficult to cut. What do you use?

Jigsaw, table saw, bandsaw - all cut it easily and quickly - ordinary hole saw to cut holes in it and superglue (cheap look alike from toolstation) not the real stuff to glue it. A hacksaw blade will cut it easily or a fine tooth handsaw but you need to clamp the sheet between two pieces of wood when using hand saws as otherwise it can flex and crack. My cheap source of the sheeting is reclaimed shower cubicles - the cheaper ones were polycarbonate not glass and the local recycling centre let me have them for buttons ...

I find the easiest way to cut up that polycarbonate stuff is to score it deeply with a Stanley knife, clamp it tightly with a piece of wood above and below, and very close to the scored line, then give it a hard and sharp smack. It breaks neatly along the line. Break the smaller piece off the larger.
The first time you do this with an 8x4 sheet takes a bit of confidence, but it works well.

Quite recently taken pic. Bees usually propolize it, or with wax. It is food grade plastic, I cut it to needed measure. Usually is left in season until I have to operate a lot within colony - these days winter preps, feeding with syrup, or q rearing. After that in autumn, early winter I place new ones. Above the plastic is usually upside down miller feeder ( or any feeder I have), on top roof of course.

Attachments

• plastic.jpg
    plastic.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 79
Can definitely recommend transparent covers.

In summer it causes less impact when opening hives, take the roof off and allow light to get in, when you then lift the cover they're already used to the light so are much calmer.
In winter (or any time) it enables you to frequently check for amount of stores, cluster size and location, all without opening up or cooling them.
It's also good for showing visitors or having a quick look after sunset (useful in winter if you're working), if you shine a torch in the dark you can see right down into the comb, more so than in daylight.

If you're not confident about cutting it then then you can buy acrylic or polycarbonate sheet cut to size online. 430mm square is perfect for fitting into a simple wooden frame to give a top beespace.

You're correct about it not causing a condensation problem.
That's with mine which are wooden framed and I use an insulated roof on top.

Last edited:
Another fan here.
I buy .5mm 8 x 4 sheets and cut easily with a Stanley blade
This is the cheapest I've found so far. You want the petG sheets.

https://www.sheetplastics.co.uk

We use plastic sheet, and since it is flexible and as I cut it a bit wider and I place beneath it direct on top bars fondant/pattie when needed ( usually February I start). Since the cost is little, I change each without hesitation when needed, also is food grade and showed to me that had no adverse effect on bees..

Works a treat.
No condensation issues because there's an insulation block of some sort over the top - poly roof, block of kingspan etc.

This negates top ventilation - is it unnecessary if you use omf?
I've read so many articles on the need for ventilation but have been impressed with the overwintering in poly nucs that have the plastic cover and no vents at the top. Now is the time to prepare for Winter so your advice / experience would be welcomed.

I've read so many articles on the need for ventilation but have been impressed with the overwintering in poly nucs that have the plastic cover and no vents at the top. Now is the time to prepare for Winter so your advice / experience would be welcomed.
If you cover the top with plastic you need a ventilation through the bottom. I read many different opinions about this. In my opinion such sheets are good in spring.

The Swienty hives I have come with a clear piece of flexible plastic.

Works a treat.
No condensation issues because there's an insulation block of some sort over the top - poly roof, block of kingspan etc.

I butchered an Abelo poly crown board at the weekend to make it transparent. The rectangles that I cut out, I'm going to set back in on top as extra insulation. I also cut the edges off the circles so the sit into the board flush.

POLY.jpg

20180729_165609.jpg

(Unfinished in that picture but you get the idea) Using 3mm acrylic.

Last edited:

What a simple and elegant solution :yeahthat: Wonderful recycling too. Brilliant.

I use OMF floors and have no or very little condensation with polycarbonate covers with no holes.

Condensation is caused by temperature difference between the vapour and the surface. If the surface is allowed to warm up to the temperature of the inside air (it does so easily and efficiently with insulation over it), then no condensation occurs.

Of course there may be some condensation on the cooler walls (I don't insulate them) but that's good, it doesn't drop on the bees from above to chill them, but it allows them to collect water from their transpiration inside the hive.

Last edited:
I use plastic flexible sheet in nucs and perspex in hives.All my hives are TBS so easy.
Never used any top ventilation - a construct of those pig ignorant of basic thermodynamics (ie. hot air rises)

I use plastic flexible sheet in nucs and perspex in hives.All my hives are TBS so easy.
Never used any top ventilation - a construct of those pig ignorant of basic thermodynamics (ie. hot air rises)

Thats a little cruel given the amount of unfounded promotion ventilation has been given to the extent of becoming an article of faith. The reality is quite complicated, where if you have a conventional thin walled wooden hive then ventilation does not lose much in extra heat (not much left to lose). But if you insulate, then ventilation can cause major heat loss and dehydration. Thus if you insulate dont ventilate, not just because its harmful, but that the insulation takes away the rationale for ventilation

Last edited:
Clear as mud Derek.given madasfish says he doesn't ventilate.

Back