Plant ideas to fill a space

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree on the honeybees' indifference.

How strange,it is recommended as exellent for honey bees,in lots of places,one of the top ten in one place. My bees certainly work it.
And of course the thorns are a benefit,as in the OP....I'd like to stop anyone thinking they can gain access!

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/lasi/resources/plants

Last edited:
:iagree:
We planted a 20' X 4' strip of Phacelia within 20' of the hives - honeybees were rare but Bumble bees and solitary abounded.

How strange,it is recommended as exellent for honey bees,in lots of places,one of the top ten in one place. My bees certainly work it.

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/lasi/resources/plants

Yes, read that one - hence the pyrocanthus at front and back of house - neither touched by more than one or two bees any time we look, sometimes none for days.

I have a big gap in one of the boundaries on my allotment that backs onto a public path and river so I would like to grow something that is bee friendly, grows large and quite quickly! I already have blackberries/brambles but they are quite low. I'd like to stop anyone thinking they can gain access!

Any suggestions? What about a Buddliea?(sp)

Many thanks!

Blackthorn?---spikes to keep the trespassers out,blossom for the bees,sloes for the gin:D

Rubus procerus 'Himalayan Giant' (Blackberry Himalayan Giant)

The' Himalayan Giant' is exceptional for its sheer size and high yield. A variety of coloured fruits are produced which have a slightly acidic taste more highly recommended for cooking with. An excellent choice for anyone looking to cover a large space or to create a large barrier as it is an extremely vigorous grower.

lovely fruit, quick growing, evil thorns :seeya:

Got some Himalayan Giant. Be aware it can quickly invade anywhere with seeds dropped by birds.. And it IS extremely prickly.

Got some Himalayan Giant. Be aware it can quickly invade anywhere with seeds dropped by birds.. And it IS extremely prickly.

might have to nip over and grab some cuttings from you in that case.....

i miss having my arms ripped to shreds when i was a kid, scoffing the berries out of me grandads garden "hedge"

:sifone:

Chinese Bee Tree

Giant Bee Tree... forget its Latin binomial, but was mentions a few thousand posts ago!

If you are refering to the Chinese Bee Tree (Tetradium Daniellii) then the pics below will give you some idea of how popular they are with bees. bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

Thanks for all your suggestions - I love the idea of the Chinese Bee Tree as well as the Pyracantha. I'll start scouring the garden centres looking for them now!

Unfortunately the Chinese Bee Tree is not something you'll find in most nurseries. Best bet is searching RHS plantfinder in your region or buy the seeds on fleabay. I was fortunate to get some sucker shoots from a fellow forum member which are overwintering nicely in their first year.

Good luck.

Two white Hebe's( white gem) get all the attention they need from Hb's in my garden. Interplanting with Pyracantha for security can afford forage for both Hb's and humble bee's. Pyracantha needs decent warm weather to excrete plentiful nectar to be of use to Hb's in great numbers.

Unfortunately the Chinese Bee Tree is not something you'll find in most nurseries. Best bet is searching RHS plantfinder in your region or buy the seeds on fleabay. I was fortunate to get some sucker shoots from a fellow forum member which are overwintering nicely in their first year.

Good luck.

They have them at Burncoose
http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pn_id=669

Wayne.....have PM'd you and put the photos here

Well I tried to but there is a glitch re attachment quotas so back to the pm

Latest posts

Back