Planning Permission advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I currently have 11 hives on my two & half acre field with plans for a few more. It is a bind travelling backwards & forwards and am thinking of applying for permission to build a home on my land but its outside of the designated area for housing. Also to then manage the bees, honey extraction etc all on site. I am seeking guidance from an architect who has asked...

...could you get a letter from any bee organisation/official appreciating your need for a residence on site near your bees? Or if you know of any other cases where someone has done the same? Or simply that being near the bees is essential?'

Any suggestions on how I could gain some official support from somewhere?

Thanks, for any ideas.

Go for a barn for agricultural use first (a big bugger).

Seem to remember an article in a recent BeeFarmer about a chap who did just that. Bought the land, kept bees, built a barn then converted part of it into accommodation. Not sure 11 hives will cut the mustard as a business though.

Go for a barn for agricultural use first (a big bugger).

I would agree as I think bees are classed as livestock. You can have a barn or agricultural building for the purpose of managing your livestock... Then again, it always depends on who picks up your application.

Seem to remember an article in a recent BeeFarmer about a chap who did just that. Bought the land, kept bees, built a barn then converted part of it into accommodation. Not sure 11 hives will cut the mustard as a business though.

From a tax perspective, the provision of a dwelling would be seen as a benefit in kind, except if it could be shown that living onsite was a necessary part of employment e.g. caretaker, security guard, etc.
However, as has already been mentioned, 11 hives would not be seen as a viable business.

Sometimes one gets permission for a house where the occupier is required to look after stock. This means you can't sell except to someone taking over the business. In the end, it could be a money sink even if you go permission. Cheaper to drive or move the bees.

Nope, fraid not. (edit re obtaining permission via occupation of a caravan/shed etc)

Have a chat with a local planning consultant. They should be familiar with the local authority planning policies, how best to interpret them and will know how to approach the authority. They'll also let you know if you have a cat in hell's chance and could save you more money, (planning consultants, like all other professionals will charge for their services).

You could do the legwork yourself and check the development plans for your area, but unless you do a lot of research, checking appeals etc. you won't get an idea of how far the local planning policies can be "bent". In this neck of the woods, development outside a designated area is a no no. A neighbouring authority has, in the past at least, been more (re)lax(ed) about residential development in rural areas....

And don't forget that developments are under review and policies change. Hope that helps a bit!

A final comment: Planning is a nightmare and often doesn't appear to have any real consistency in the application of the policies. :hairpull: but I will say no more on that....

Last edited:
The guy's name is Rob Gabriel and according to the article he looks after 300 colonies mostly single-handed.
To quote: 'To satisfy the authorities, Rob and his wife spent a number of years building a case and collecting evidence to support obtaining a certificate of lawful use, which meant the property could legitimately and legally be occupied for both business (agriculture) and domestic purposes.'

Most static caravan parks have a 10 month occupancy so permanent occupancy won’t work on that front the occupants of these parks go to Spain for 2 months in the winter ;)

If you occupied full time you would need planning the same for a house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most static caravan parks have a 10 month occupancy so permanent occupancy won’t work on that front the occupants of these parks go to Spain for 2 months in the winter ;)

If you occupied full time you would need planning the same for a house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you Own the land things are different ..:spy:

If you Own the land things are different ..:spy:

Not so in this neck of the woods... Cornwall Council are hot on anyone attempting to get residential rights on green field sites.. if owned by the occupier or not.... it may be different in other areas.

Injunctions and removal orders were recently imposed on permanent caravan dwellers who had ( / a long lease?) purchased? land near here ... all be it within an ANOB... not pikeys, tarmaccers or scrap dealers... just a bunch of vegans quietly living on nuts and berries... causing no harm or trouble.
Seems to have all been hushed up!

Yeghes da

Nope, fraid not. (edit re obtaining permission via occupation of a caravan/shed etc)

Have a chat with a local planning consultant. They should be familiar with the local authority planning policies, how best to interpret them and will know how to approach the authority. They'll also let you know if you have a cat in hell's chance and could save you more money, (planning consultants, like all other professionals will charge for their services).

You could do the legwork yourself and check the development plans for your area, but unless you do a lot of research, checking appeals etc. you won't get an idea of how far the local planning policies can be "bent". In this neck of the woods, development outside a designated area is a no no. A neighbouring authority has, in the past at least, been more (re)lax(ed) about residential development in rural areas....

And don't forget that developments are under review and policies change. Hope that helps a bit!

A final comment: Planning is a nightmare and often doesn't appear to have any real consistency in the application of the policies. :hairpull: but I will say no more on that....

Very true
I own a piece of land and am currently looking at developing it. I work with architects and local planners everyday, so am lucky to know who is worth approaching. As with all areas some are okay, some are adequate and others really know their business.
Upshot is I have been advised to apply for outline planning using one set of guidance, if that fails, reapply using a second set. The difference in the approaches is one would allow for all open market, the other to provide ‘affordable’ housing.
As a bee farmer member , I did ask about building under ‘agricultural’ use and was advised that this approach is nowadays frowned upon after too many ‘farmers’ were only people with a few llamas! Even if granted, planning permission with an agricultural condition can come back and bite you as selling will have always this covenant
S

Latest posts

Back