Pink wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annaklw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have just broken down a nuc that was robbed out by wasps - it wasn’t a strong hive so I wasn’t particularly surprised - I left it for a while after I knew it had died because life and miserable weather just got in the way. Today I went to clean it up and discovered that all the wax is pink! I don’t mean just tinged pink, but of a shade that would almost please Barbie!
Is this mould or something more sinister? Do I need to discard the wax or even the whole frames?

Attachments

• IMG_2656.jpeg
    IMG_2656.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
doesn't look particularly pink to me - just looks like normal comb
In real life it is a dusky pink. I am thinking it is probably mould (we have had a lot of rain). As I know the colony failed due to wasps, am I safe to give these frames to another hive?

I've seen it before many years ago, but in less quantity in one of my hives. It is a pollen tinge to the wax, just like the yellow stain you get with dandelion.

discard the wax or even the whole frames
No, you have an asset for next season. Trick is to get them there without wax moth & rodent having first use.

Keep them sealed and cold (long frosts are good) and treat with sulphur strips or Dipel, to kill wax moth eggs & larvae.

Latest posts

Back