Phacelia tanacetifolia (purple tansey)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our Bees love it, on one of our sites the farmer grows a 10m boarder around the fields for us to take over when the Rape has finished, it has just started to go over itself now, it gives a lot of blue pollen and some really nice golden lime coloured Honey, but we are talking quite a few acres of the stuff.

I've just come across a variant: phacelia campanularia. Haven't a clue if it's anywhere near as good as 'the real thing', but this variety grows less than a foot high, so might be better for growing in urban gardens ?

LJ

Don't forget Borage

and Marigolds,(calendula) All the Herbs and any flower with an open centre. Is it your own land, or are you restricted in what you can grow. If time is an issue then a wildflower meadow is a good idea: on the other hand if you have time and the ability you can grow lots of fruit that the bees will love and reduce your shopping bill for you. Though of course initially there is an expence in buying plants. /green beans also are usefull initially for bumble bees and then the honey bees. Ornamental Alliums are beloved by bees. and if the plot is boggy anywhere plant Lythrum Salicara Purple Loosetrife. Where you are in the country the soil type and acidity level and microclimate will determine what grows well. Raspberries and currents are not choosy so if the land is without restrictions I would definitely put some in. If you want to crop them they are easier to manage strung on Wires. I have fanned some currents on a trellis and they crop much better than left as a bush. More light to the canes more flowers and easy for the pollinators.

Latest posts

Back