Pension Credits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busybee53

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
none now
My husband is soon to lose his job. He was 62 in June. I have heard that if you are over 62 when you sign on that you get Pension Credits instead of Job Seekers Allowance. Does any one know if this is true?

Do they just pay your NI contributions for you or do they give you money too? If they give you money does any one know if it is based on your having paid Ni contributions in the previous two tax years (like JSA) and what the rate is?

Sorry for asking on here but there does not seem to be any sensible information on the Government website because he falls in the transitional period due to his age.

Thanks in advance.

My husband is soon to lose his job. He was 62 in June. I have heard that if you are over 62 when you sign on that you get Pension Credits instead of Job Seekers Allowance. Does any one know if this is true?

Do they just pay your NI contributions for you or do they give you money too? If they give you money does any one know if it is based on your having paid Ni contributions in the previous two tax years (like JSA) and what the rate is?

Sorry for asking on here but there does not seem to be any sensible information on the Government website because he falls in the transitional period due to his age.

Thanks in advance.

Madame Abeille writes:

Yes, you are right he can claim Pension Credit as he was 62 after April 2014. And can look for a job at the same time if he wants to work. However that is dependent on whether you have an income or not. If you have an income above certain levels this will reduce his Pension Credit until it disappears altogether. If you don't work or have another income then he can claim for both of you as a joint claim couple. If you work then as he's been working (and has paid NI contributions for the last 2/3 years) then he can claim Contribution Based Jobseekers Allowance which is unaffected by your income for 3 months.

The rules surrounding NI is a bit more complicated - if he has the required number of years contributions required for a full state pension (which is likely if he's always worked) then he doesn't need to worry too much about that. If not then he will get them credited if he claims JSA or can make voluntary payments if he claims PC.

Best advice I can give you is to contact your local CAB for a benefits check as along with both JSA & PC you may get help with mortgage & rent payments and Council Tax again depending on income and/or savings. You can also check benefit entitlement online at turn2us.org.uk

Hope that helps - Mdme Abeille (Citizens Advice volunteer)

Has he not asked his employer these questions? They should be able to help him out on that score, surely?

Thanks in advance.

Contact " Age Concern UK," there is surely a local branch near to you. make an appointment for your husband and self. they will answer ALL your concerns and offer very good advice. they have the latest government information and a nationwide knowledge base on all pension & benefits. They will even contact government departments and seek answers on your behalf.
Good luck.

Check if he even needs to sign on. I didnt when retired at 60 but that was 5 years ago. Once you have worked so many years the gov pay you NI contributions. Its all on google but they do answer the phone and will explain it very well.

Thanks for the replies. I was just asking if Pensions credit payments depended on having paid NI. He has not paid for the past few years due to low wages.

It is no good asking the employer, he is the only member of staff and they did not even know they had to pay sick pay till I told them.

When it comes to it I am sure the job center will tell him what he has to do and what he is entitled to but it always better to know what to expect.

You will find that NI dosnt make much if any difference.on his state pension.Government says you nees so much to live on

U

I used to keep getting letters saying that I was so many NI contributions short and it would mean that I didnt get the full pension, but if I paid them ????? I woul dthen get the full pension... I never paid it.. Only differecne it made was for £2 per wekk and they made that up anyway..

A good way to find out what you may be intitled to is to fill in the on-line housing benefit form..

Latest posts

Back