• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Payments?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beezers

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Did not realise that there is an upfront charge for placing an ad, £15 no matter the value of item,wow. Understand we should make a donation if items sell but forced payment before hand seems a bit twisty-arm. Also in this section "Bees and honey for sale/wanted" I did not see the admin notice to pay first?
P.S Garden beeks like me can't put our 1/2 low value items to the forum.
:ohthedrama:

The first couple of years it was free with a donation if the beekeeping item or nuc/bees sold.
But so many members just posted ads to only return 12 months later to place more ads We had to find a way around it.

Most items/bees do sell so it's a cheap price to pay as the one off fee covers 12 months.

Did not realise that there is an upfront charge for placing an ad, £15 no matter the value of item,wow. ...

But so many members just posted ads to only return 12 months later to place more ads We had to find a way around it.

Most items/bees do sell so it's a cheap price to pay as the one off fee covers 12 months.

So is that the position whether or not one only appears every 12 months to sell some nucs?

There's always you know what???
The choice is yours!

So It's £15 per year? Whether it's 1 ad for my nuc or multi ads for 12 months.

It's £15 to pay to support the site. For that, you get to advertise.

At £15, it is cheap for access to this great wealth of knowledge, opinion, BS, etc...

:hairpull:

There's always you know what???
The choice is yours!
Not much choice if the forum grasshoppers have nothing better to do than stalk"Beekeeping" lots looking for browny points. But,as it's free listing weekend
& I like it up the grasses(got a nice suit as well:ban:
luv it

The charges on evilb&y soon exceed £15.....and they do not provide a wealth of knowledge or the help...

Selling items at £15 for the year is chump change.....

who do you think pays for this web site....donations, i've donated but never advertised, without donations you would have no where to advertise...as we would have no forum

The alternative would be to pay for membership of the forum and by your attitude i assume you would neither make a voluntary donation nor pay a subscription to join a forum as you seem to want everything for free...this is not a free forum, it is a forum supported by voluntary donations from people like me

Last edited:
It's a simple question Mus,not need for your rant. You donate & get glory by telling all. New people to this site are finding their way around,your beezers of nazareth spill isn't helpful.

It's a simple question Mus,not need for your rant. You donate & get glory by telling all. New people to this site are finding their way around,your beezers of nazareth spill isn't helpful.

Putting the record straight, your rant was over the top, it needed a reply

This is a forum funded by Donations, look at all the members in the members list who have donated for you to get free advice and contribute free advice to others

Admin has just paid for a new server to upgrade the forum...so who paid for that?

I still find your rant after being told the situation by Admin rather poor and your continued attitude in your reply to my post as bad

Last edited:
You haven't posted my asking everything for free post,wonder why. Move on Mus.

who do you think pays for this web site....donations, i've donated but never advertised, without donations you would have no where to advertise...as we would have no forum

The alternative would be to pay for membership of the forum and by your attitude i assume you would neither make a voluntary donation nor pay a subscription to join a forum as you seem to want everything for free...this is not a free forum, it is a forum supported by voluntary donations from people like me

I made a reply on the above regarding keyboard warriors and having read my comments decided I was being a keyboard warrior so have removed the comment.

Last edited:
Can we not donate to a cause such as 'bees for development' as i do with my honey rather than always to the forum administration?

Surely a fixed charge is not a donation? So why not call the £15 a membership fee with advertising priviledges? Only problem there is do you allow commercial advertising?
Ten words, four times a year in the classified pages of Beecraft comes with a subscription to the journal at 27 pounds a year; that's a more formal way of doing the job. Here, a donation is expected before posting a for-sale. If it was on a larger scale, then it might interest the tax man or some other body but the sums involved are small and I think most are happy with the forum the way it is without accountants or formal registration as a charity.
Can we not donate to a cause such as 'bees for development' as i do with my honey rather than always to the forum administration?
Servers still have to be paid for. There's a monthly fee that covers computer hardware, network access, software licences or support and electricity, it's not free. It's clear from previous polls that paying for that by taking commercial ads or sponsorship would move the forum in a direction most do not want. It's not reasonable to expect an individual to run a community site at their own expense, even if time put in is given freely. Donations are a compromise; make a contribution to the overheads occasionally because you like the way it works. Or choose not to. Read or write as much as you want, but don't expect to advertise without some commitment.

Servers still have to be paid for. There's a monthly fee that covers computer hardware, network access, software licences or support and electricity, it's not free. It's clear from previous polls that paying for that by taking commercial ads or sponsorship would move the forum in a direction most do not want. It's not reasonable to expect an individual to run a community site at their own expense, even if time put in is given freely. Donations are a compromise; make a contribution to the overheads occasionally because you like the way it works. Or choose not to. Read or write as much as you want, but don't expect to advertise without some commitment.

Yes, I agree. The current system does seem like the best way to fund the operation and we shouldn't expect the administration to pay from their own pocket!

It would be nice to have transparency of the costs though. A quarterly or annual report showing just what the bills/expenses are and how much shortfall/profit has been made would be good.

There is plenty of free advertising whether it be internet sites or written publications without paying for it, and lets face it a backyard beekeeper selling the odd nuc and trying to recoup some of the money they have spent setting up, and the commercial beek who makes a living from bees. I notice some of the forum members don't advertise in the for sale section they use their profiles.

I don't think it's apparent from the message on the forum that the £15 allows you to advertise whenever you like for 12 months. For that amount it looks like good value to me, and you're supporting the forums (which have been a godsend to me as a newbeek), but I'd assumed it was £15 for each advert

Personally, I can see no reason why the Forum can't allow advertising, provided that it was in it's own, separate place. I imagine that the large suppliers would be very keen to offer their beekeeping products to the largest audience. It would raise revenue from advertisers, provide upto date notifications of sales and special offers and might even stop the need for the ridiculous need to type TH***es/M*****ore etc!:leaving:

Back