Paint stripping and sterilising hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

I've acquired a rather old WBC hive that I'd like to restore and use in my garden. I realise that I need to sterilise it, but I wondered if I could kill two birds with one stone by having it dip stripped? Will an hour in a caustic solution kill off any lurking spores etc or do I need to go over it with a flame afterwards?

Thanks

Norman

I can't answer from a bee keeping point of view but from microbiologist point of view I'd say that would do it.

Using caustic soda at the right strength and temperature will certainly do the job removing the paint & killing the spores (I am sure you are aware of the hazards to you of using it) but I think you might need more than an hour
In days past WBCs were typically painted with lead paint so be aware of potential health hazards if you decide to go down the alternative blow lamp, electric hot air gun route.

Also...dipping will make the wood softer and more porous. So might not be good in the long run.

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to use a local door stripping firm to do it rather then risking life and limb by doing it myself! The warning about lead paint has sold me on having them do it!

Thanks all.

Latest posts

Back