Oxalic sublimation idea...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilco

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15-ish
Hi all,

Just been looking at available OA sublimators and thinking about whether there is another option.

I did some maths and was going to try and work out a battery operated device (a one hive dose would take under 600J energy, so a device running from an AA battery or several should theoretically be able to do multiple hives). However, as I was looking into heating elements it suddenly struck me; e-cigarettes may basically do this already, operating at between about 180C and 300C this should easily do the trick (bar formic acid formation), they are refillable and rechargeable. Has anyone considered modifying an e-cigarette to sublimate with and if so, was it successful (I'm not the most switched on with electronics, pun intended)?

Hi all,

Just been looking at available OA sublimators and thinking about whether there is another option.

I did some maths and was going to try and work out a battery operated device (a one hive dose would take under 600J energy, so a device running from an AA battery or several should theoretically be able to do multiple hives). However, as I was looking into heating elements it suddenly struck me; e-cigarettes may basically do this already, operating at between about 180C and 300C this should easily do the trick (bar formic acid formation), they are refillable and rechargeable. Has anyone considered modifying an e-cigarette to sublimate with and if so, was it successful (I'm not the most switched on with electronics, pun intended)?
I have used the Gaz Vap . This uses a refillable kitchen brûlée torch . Very simple, very effective !

These electricity driven vaporising pans require ancillary equipment in order to operate!
the blowtorch varieties are more convenient.
if your colonies are on the doorstep, then you can choose whatever type you like .

Hi all,

Sublimox 300W
Varrox 144W
e-cig <14W

Power in the e-cig will not be enough

I did once make a pan type device using a PTC heating element rated at 170C. It ran off a car battery, took ten minutes (and the rest) to heat up. Sublimation was very variable but always incomplete.

I now use a Sublimox

Attachments

• Chen 2018 Measurement of heating coil temperature for e-cig.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 15
If you look at Phil Chandler's YouTube, if he got Covid19 he was going to use an e-cig for inhaling propolis, to see if it would alleviate the symptoms. Sorry gone off topic.

If you look at Phil Chandler's YouTube, if he got Covid19 he was going to use an e-cig for inhaling propolis, to see if it would alleviate the symptoms. Sorry gone off topic.
He of the bare foot beekeeper?
right .

Hi all,

3 observations
1)vape pipes use a liquid to carry a minute amount of flavouring over or around a heating element certainly less than 2g
2) all vape pipes require you to suck air through the chamber to get vaporised gases were you want them. .. not sure I fancy sucking on OA

3) look up dewalt 18v heat gun. Produces 290c on a low setting

Milwaukee M12SI-0 M12SI-0X Cordless Soldering Iron 12V

Expensive make etc but just needs a pan adding and no need to lug a car battery about
Then again as I nearly set fire to my hive useing a cheep oa sublimater from eBay it might not be that expensive and something I might look into further

Hi all,

I've fiddled with various heating elements/hot
Sublimox 300W
Varrox 144W
e-cig <14W

Power in the e-cig will not be enough

I did once make a pan type device using a PTC heating element rated at 170C. It ran off a car battery, took ten minutes (and the rest) to heat up. Sublimation was very variable but always incomplete.

I now use a Sublimox
I agree, for this job over engineered kit with plenty of spare capacity is much preferable to going light and doing half the job in twice the time.

Beware cheepheating plates that simply get hotter as current pas through them ie poker reshot were you can’t see it … stick to the time limit/ recommendation for your device

Latest posts

Back