Oxalic Acid Vapour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff M

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 National & 1 Rose
Just seen some videos about using oxalic acid vapour to treat for varoa. It looks like a quick and simple method.

Anyone on the forum using this method in the UK with any success?

There's loads on this here on the forum. Just have a dig around. I sublimated last winter and it was beautifully easy. This year intend to do my autumn treatment the same way. I have modified the floors so that I can introduce my varrox under the omf from behind the hives. Three treatments five days apart.

Just seen some videos about using oxalic acid vapour to treat for varoa. It looks like a quick and simple method.

Yes, I've now switched to Vape-ing, using a Varrox (other cheaper versions are available on flea bay).

I vape under the OMF floor, using 3 grams of OA (tablets), and make sure these are pressed into the cup, to give a quick burn.

Under the OMF floor, I use a stainless steel plate, and then seal up with foam, (and the entrance) it's quick and easy, and I do not have to remove the crown boards, straps or roofs in winter.

As mouse guards are also on, I actually use a large piece of foam, taped onto the guard with gaffer tape.

I also use a Mask with Googles, and disposable gloves!

There is a wonderful search facility (or three) on the forum ... !

No "dust mask" provides adequate protection.
You need a mask that is proof against acid vapours (not just dust). (And no beard so it sits tightly enough.) And goggles. And gloves.

The NBU is dead against vaporising, primarily on Health & Safety grounds.
I tried (and failed) to convince them that beekeepers aren't stupid. Don't prove them right!

Another newbie question related to this....

Is it a case of doing either Oxylate vapour or something like Apiguard, or could you do both Oxylate vapour and Apiguard?

I'd be assuming you'd do them some time apart to avoid overly stressing the bees with pest control interventions.

Is it a case of doing either Oxylate vapour or something like Apiguard, or could you do both Oxylate vapour and Apiguard?

I'd be assuming you'd do them some time apart to avoid overly stressing the bees with pest control interventions.

No point really in mixing the two as vaporising a is fifteen day treatment and apiguard is a 28 day treatment with both having the same affect.

Apiguard is a fine treatment for this time of year (after harvest, before cold weather). It costs about £5/colony and doesn't really need any extra kit - just a small eke, usually made from cheap or scrap stripwood, though Thorne and other suppliers do sell them for about a fiver.
Treatment lasts about six weeks and needs to be finished before the cold weather starts.
Treating now should help get healthy "winter bees" surviving to do work in the spring.

Oxalic acid is currently not an officially authorised treatment. Because bees are food-producing animals, this does have potential legal implications.
However, it is accepted as being very effective, which currently puts it into a very confusing grey area. This will change soon (possibly later this year) with approval of an oxalic product "Api-Bioxal".
Normally, it is used as a midwinter treatment to try and minimise the varroa in the colony during the important spring build-up. Treating in December when the colony has no sealed brood, means that the varroa have nowhere to shelter to avoid treatment.
It is quite normal to treat with Apiguard in Autumn AND with Oxalic in December.
For beginners, the simpler, safer and cheaper way to use Oxalic is in a syrup.
Treating like that (buying-in the syrup in a special dosing bottle) costs about £3/colony and requires absolutely no extra kit whatsoever. The treatment is over and done with in minutes per colony. Just be sure to get the syrup only very shortly before use - once made up and ready to use, it has a very short shelf-life.
Those with different situations may find it worthwhile to spend £30 or so on a protective mask and goggles, plus £100 or so on vaporising kit, and then pennies per colony on the chemical.

For beginners, the simple midwinter option is trickling syrup. Later, you might make up your own syrup (for pennies per colony) and reuse those dosing bottles you've saved. Api-Bioxal should legitimise this route.

I would advise against beginners thinking of trying vaporising in their first winter as a beekeeper. Find out more about it, and watch it being done, before deciding to invest.

Some experimenters, having got the kit for vaporising, are trying different ways of employing it. I wouldn't suggest that beginners should experiment like this.

If you haven't already done so, do download and study the sound middle-of-the-road official advice in the free booklet "Managing Varroa". See http://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21261

Never used anything else for the last 8 years - more effective than trickling and without any need to open the hive and chill the cluster. I've been advocating this method on this forum for the same time with the usual 'elf and safety and other detractors. Load of carp mostly. Used with due common sense it would be hard to come to any real harm.

You need a mask that is proof against acid vapours (not just dust). (And no beard so it sits tightly enough.) And goggles. And gloves.

I tried (and failed) to convince them that beekeepers aren't stupid. Don't prove them right!

Yes already had a report back on that meeting, i understand from Patricia that you defended your corner well

Last edited:
You need a mask that is proof against acid vapours (not just dust). (And no beard so it sits tightly enough.)

Now that's a ;oad of billy b*ll*x did all my firefighting practicals, full CABA sets with beard - the fact was mentioned and performance waqs monitored - no significant leakage around the beard.

Beards and economical masks.
Now that's a ;oad of billy b*ll*x did all my firefighting practicals, full CABA sets with beard - the fact was mentioned and performance waqs monitored - no significant leakage around the beard.
The point was specifically brought up by the Elfin Safety pro at LASI, during his presentation on doing vaporising safely - using an "acid vapour" mask. According to him, beard means different protection needed - he alluded to those full-face airflow thingies (but I can't remember what he called them).

That said, Oxalic vaporising seems pretty safe in comparison to playing with Liquid Nitrogen - which seems such fun stuff.
Fortunately one could do a freeze-killed brood assay without going near Liquid Nitrogen ...

Beards and economical masks.

The point was specifically brought up by the Elfin Safety pro at LASI, during his presentation on doing vaporising safely - using an "acid vapour" mask. According to him, beard means different protection needed - he alluded to those full-face airflow thingies (but I can't remember what he called them).

That said, Oxalic vaporising seems pretty safe in comparison to playing with Liquid Nitrogen - which seems such fun stuff.
Fortunately one could do a freeze-killed brood assay without going near Liquid Nitrogen ...

I confess to having a cynical view of the world but how much of the ever expanding elfinsafety rule book revolves around these professionals justifying their existence plus obsessive attempts to cancel Darwins laws.
Remember the famous utterance of Mandy Rice-Davies "well he would say that, wouldn't he? "

Yep ... but the bits sticking out from under the mask would turn snowy white ... oh ... but they already are so that's not a problem !:smilielol5:

Oh my gawd, here we go again about masking up. Used a Varrox for 8 years and never had a mask on for the simple reason I stand well clear and upwind. Of course, I forgot that most beeks are pretty stupid people are they not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, now being told by one of the attendee, who is now so against Vaporisation now that it is comical that a FFP3 mask is not adequate even though the varrox comes with FFP3 masks,

They wanted to see the specification of my mask and filters but i was able to produce my A1B1E1K1P3 filters and a A1P3R95 filters, with me then saying I think the A1P3R is ok becasue it is for use with organic vapour >65c EP or do you want me to use the higher spec haha

They did not know the filter codes (1:0 to varrox)

If you are unfortunate to get a sniff of vaporised oxalic acid, believe me you will be coughing for hours. No fun trying to wipe the snot your veil

Back