Oxalic Acid proportions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi - fairly new to this and looking for advice - I've a just bought 50g bag of OA and looking to make up a solution for the traditional (at least for the past 2 years!) New Year's day treatment. My worry is that without scientific scales I'm going to have to estimate the weight of the OA for division and am concerned about the consequences of getting concentrations wrong. Has anybody else checked the accurate weighing of a standard bag sold as 50g?
thanks!

1 g accuracy digital citchen balances are cheap. Bye such one. 3-5 hives 7,5 g OA and 100 g sugar + 100 g water. 50 g is enough for several years.

Last edited:
1 g accuracy digital citchen balances are cheap. Bye such one. 3-5 hives 7,5 g OA and 100 g sugar + 100 g water. 50 g is enough for several years.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:
:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

on the ball Finman... I use post office electronic scales.... or if your on good terms with your local Mrs Goggins you could borrow hers!!:D:
Our local PostOffice is in the Local Pub!!:cheers2:

For our international forumites Mrs Goggins is the Postmistress in Greendale wher PostmanPat, Jess his cat and all the other happy little charecters live!

And does anyone know whether the expiry date on Oxalic crystals is to be accurately stuck to- or is it a jobs worth number (like honey expiry date on shop labelling:smilielol5:).
My Oxalic crystals expired 6 months ago. Stored in dark dry cupboard. I wont risk using 'old' if critical -but it may be a number they have chosen!

Wouldn't risk suffering of the little fellahs for £20 worth of OA.

As interest, we have the crystals and use it on the boat to clean the fibreglass and sails to remove rust - has anyboy ever got any on their face, or worse, in their eyes. Spectacular burning! Takes days to subside.

Definitely get the proprietory mix and be happy the little fellahs are getting the best.

Wouldn't risk suffering of the little fellahs for £20 worth of OA.

As interest, we have the crystals and use it on the boat to clean the fibreglass and sails to remove rust - has anyboy ever got any on their face, or worse, in their eyes. Spectacular burning! Takes days to subside.

Definitely get the proprietory mix and be happy the little fellahs are getting the best.

DON'T DRINK BATTERY ACID EITHER !!!:puke:

It seems to be an alternative way of boosting post counts rather than the first word in your head or the three word story.

Some think that a high posting rate gives credibility, others think that content is king. :willy_nilly:

I couldn't possibly comment, but it is becoming rather irritating.

Seems ultimate difficult

acid .....out of date
balance.....no battery
bees....no mites
can't you see...... i should bye new reading glasses

DON'T DRINK BATTERY ACID EITHER !!!:puke:

Sulphuric (sulfuric) acid H2SO4 has a pH value similar to that of Oxalic acid.
pH is a measure of how strong the acid is (actually -log of hydrogen ion concentration) pH is a logarithmic scale , 7 being neutral towards 1 acid towards 10 alkaline.

I was not trying to be clever or sarcastic, merely advising that if you look at current statutory EU labeling of chemical containers, the labels warning of hazards are the same for both products.
I would not expect anyone to consider spilling or drinking battery acid (sulphiric Acid) ... you know that would be silly!
However a white crystaline substance sitting in a jar [ possiblyand unlabled], and something you are going to pour over your bees may be considered by some to be inert and harmless!
just attempting to draw attention to that fact!

as for keeping a tally on forum entries,...... only a sadsoandso would worry!! and I don't thing the administrator has the time to delete every reply that may seem irrelevant etc etc....bee-smillie

It seems to be an alternative way of boosting post counts rather than the first word in your head or the three word story.

Some think that a high posting rate gives credibility, others think that content is king. :willy_nilly:
:banghead:
I couldn't possibly comment, but it is becoming rather irritating.

It is called FORUMITIS

could have replies...
I used to be SNOW WHITE but I drifted

pointless and irritating and possibly nothing to do with the subject matter at all
but like
"BUMP"
puts the topic to the top of the list above all the other inane pointless comments
bee-smillie

icanhopit and any year 6 reading this,

pH is a measure of how strong the acid is (actually -log of hydrogeandn ion concentration)

Actually wrong again. Close, but not close enough.

pH is actualy the recprocal of the log of the hydrogen ion concentration.

RAB

Sulphuric (sulfuric) acid H2SO4 has a pH value similar to that of Oxalic acid.
pH is a measure of how strong the acid is (actually -log of hydrogen ion concentration) pH is a logarithmic scale , 7 being neutral towards 1 acid towards 10 alkaline.

I was not trying to be clever or sarcastic, merely advising that if you look at current statutory EU labeling of chemical containers, the labels warning of hazards are the same for both products.
I would not expect anyone to consider spilling or drinking battery acid (sulphiric Acid) ... you know that would be silly!
However a white crystaline substance sitting in a jar [ possiblyand unlabled], and something you are going to pour over your bees may be considered by some to be inert and harmless!
just attempting to draw attention to that fact!

as for keeping a tally on forum entries,...... only a sadsoandso would worry!! and I don't thing the administrator has the time to delete every reply that may seem irrelevant etc etc....bee-smillie
You speak about car accu or lead accu. yes, don't eate or drink auto accu. Prefer car windows.

Sorry, about the last post, but I did not notice the minus sign before the 'log' (or thought it was a hyphen).

So, yes you are correct (as was I with the reciprocal) as well. One and the same.

Sorry to class as well. Don't want you getting the wrong idea and hassling teacher unnecessarily. RAB

Those worried about the accuracy of their kitchen scales might like to check them against current British coins. The weights of common coins with weights in whole numbers of grams are as shown below:

20p - 5g
50p - 8g
£2.00 - 12g

These refer to the weight of new current coins, not the larger versions - of which there were a few in the past - e.g. 50p.

Those worried about the accuracy of their kitchen scales might like to check them against current British coins. The weights of common coins with weights in whole numbers of grams are as shown below:

20p - 5g
50p - 8g
£2.00 - 12g

These refer to the weight of new current coins, not the larger versions - of which there were a few in the past - e.g. 50p.

Useful info will make a note of that... what was a pennyweight then?

Did I mention I have an Honours degree in Environmental Chemistry amongst others?

"Now would you like me to go and sit quietly in the corner and rust for the next couple of hundred millenia?"

On one forum I frequent (not beekeeping) a member has over 70,000 posts.
Mind you, he does know nearly all the answers.

Hi Rooftops, just checked my kitchen scales against your coin weights they are spot on. Many thanks the info has boosted my confidence in said scales.
Cheers Ainsie:cheers2:

Mrs Goggins did not know that 20p coined weight was 5g

checking scales before weighing out my 7.8g of oxalic acid !!!!!!

Last year I had no accurate scales, so made myself a simple balance with a couple of food bags, some thick thread and a spare bottom bar. with the aid of a couple of coins, I got the balance correct.

Then using Google to find the weight of various UK coins and having assembled the correct weight in the bag on one side and the OA on the other, we were off and running.

I do have some precision scales but have never checked them. great idea weigh some coins on them with a known weight. they are .1-.2 grams out. acceptable in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back