Oxalic - 50 mites in 24 hours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I got my bees the hives both had there boards in .now what I would like to know is do I keep in or out and why ?

when I got my bees the hives both had there boards in .now what I would like to know is do I keep in or out and why ?

Hi yellowrage,
You keep it out unless you are monitoring for varroa. If you keep it in you encourage wax moth infestation due to all the debris which will collect on the board and risk the destruction of unoccupied combs, any live varroa which falls through OMF will be able to crawl back into hive and your hive will be full of condensation due to lack of ventilation. Someone else may come along in a minute with additional information.

This winter for the first time I have tried keeping my inspection trays in with a small cut-out only. Thinking along the lines of keeping the cluster warm while allowing for some ventilation. All hives are bone dry, no condensation on the crown board at all.
They are out for the rest of the year.
Hivemaker, I think, keeps his bees on solid floors.....I might be wrong though.

Checked again today and drop around 10 so have I got the majority of the Varroa or is the OA not having so much effect? How long does it normally stay effective for?

Checked again today and drop looks to be down to 1-2. Bees really busy, looks like they are fetching water!

Latest posts

Back