Oxalic - 50 mites in 24 hours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snecklifter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi there,

My first year beekeeping.

Got a nuc in July last year which has stayed constant at 6 frames of bees no matter what.

Decided not to treat at all (taking a minimalist approach and only interfering where I think I need to) until now but following advice from local BKA decided to do OA treatment yesterday which seemed to go well.

Went back today and counted 50 mites on the entire board whereas I hadn't seen a single one in natural drop - I was almost getting to the point where I thought colony was varroa-free! Newbie beekeepers eh?

Anyway, opinions and advice from those with experience appreciated.

Is the drop a good thing meaning the treatment has worked?
Is it larger than "normal", whatever normal is?

I have added fondant and am considering adding a super frame into the brood chamber to create brood comb and naturally remove varroa - opinions?

Thanks!

After 2 weeks you see, how much you have mites. Then 60-70% of dead mites have dropped.

How big is the cluster?

Okay, thanks Finman.
7 seams but not tightly clustered as temperature was quite high at time of OA treatment, around 8 degrees.

Add a super frame in the spring once they start building drone comb, I put mine 1 in from the edge of the brood nest and they will build drone comb which you can remove once it's sealed, check count first as you may decide to leave it if no varroa found. I find that most hives will draw 2 brood cycles of drones and then build worker comb instead so I put a full frame back in after 2 cycles.
This is only what I do and there will be many other opinions along soon.
Good luck for the coming season snecklifter.

Thanks Pete D. Do you mind me asking what, if any, other treatments you apply throughout the year?

Wrong type of feeder on for this time of year!!!! Give them 1 kg or so of fondant if anything and then only if they are very light on stores. Put it straight on the top of the frames under the crownboard within in a shallow (1inch eke) but wrap in clingfilm first leaving an opening to let them get at it. Add more later if that goes very quickly. Come mid March or thereabouts , depending on weather, start giving them light syrup when there are signs of queen coming into lay.

Thanks Pete D. Do you mind me asking what, if any, other treatments you apply throughout the year?

Hi, this year I did 10 hives with MAQS and the rest with thymovaar in early September.

As afermo said remove the feeder ASAP, it's just draining heat from the hive. If they need feed it should be fondant now.
Lovely clean frames and crown board, for now.

Hi snecklifter,
That was a close call - well done! Natural mite drop only proves that you have Varroa not that you don't. Hopefully, your colony with vastly reduced Varroa numbers (96% efficacy if broodless - I believe) will be ready for takeoff this spring. Sometimes you get a bum steer. Best wishes for the coming season.

Hi snecklifter,
That was a close call - well done! Natural mite drop only proves that you have Varroa not that you don't. Hopefully, your colony with vastly reduced Varroa numbers (96% efficacy if broodless - I believe) will be ready for takeoff this spring. Sometimes you get a bum steer. Best wishes for the coming season.

Your comment "Natural mite drop only proves you have Varroa not that you don't " should be compulsory reading for everyone with bees in their care.:judge:

Your comment "Natural mite drop only proves you have Varroa not that you don't " should be compulsory reading for everyone with bees in their care.:judge:

Thank you dear sir, but I cannot take credit. Hivemaker could make a sticker out of his photo which blew the fallacy of natural mite drop out of the water for me anyway.

Hi snecklifter,

Thanks beeno, yes, it is nice to know the treatment has been effective and especially as it's my first outing, never having done any kind of treatment before. Apiguard seems ineffective and resistance has built up and MAQS sounds pretty heavy handed. Quite enjoying the challenge of getting them through winter.

Never been stung yet though so I might still discover I'm allergic and have to sell the lot! Heh.

Not come across any varroa resistance to thymol, could you please supply further information about this resistance.

That's good to know Hivemaker since I have been using your recipe second year running.

morning did OA on the 2nd just did 3rd check 1st had around 30 down from last time 2nd had around 120 also down .I need to treat the outside of the hives have looked at cuprinol garden shades any good or not ?

.I need to treat the outside of the hives have looked at cuprinol garden shades any good or not ?

I use cuprinol garden shades and find it very good(I do usually slap on a second coat). I've not painted occupied hives though, I suspect they'd make a mess if they came out and walked on it wet.

Apiguard seems ineffective and resistance has built up.QUOTE]

Snecklifter,

Hivemaker and I (and no doubt many others) would like to know where you got this (mis)information from please. Otherwise that is a very misleading statement to make with no backup which is not what this forum is about.

Latest posts

Back