Overwintering 5 frame Rose nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then you should buy and read the Rose Hive book, Langstroths man... before jumping to conclusions???
:hairpull:
Nos da

May one ask why you think he should do that? What do you suppose the sequel might be, in other words what is Tim Rose doing today and how successful was his system and how did it stand the test of time?The proof of the pudding... etc..

I have overwintered with 1 frame of brood successfully on two occasions! If you start a thread asking would it be OK to overwinter with one frame, the majority on here will tell you its a waste of time to try it. I say, go for it. It's worth trying and don't be surprised when them nucs are full colonies next year

2-hive owner and his experiences.
Tiny colonies are only wasting of queen laying capacity.

A gueen lays the hive full in couple of days and then I cannot do nothing. Neither workers.

I use 3 frame nucs as mating nucs. Even mating nucs 1 frame give is impossible. Mere trouble.

This summer I made 5 nucs, which had only a Queen at the beginning of May.
I took frames of emerging brood as soon as possible from bigger hives. On later half of May the nucs had one box full of bees. Each hive got 80-100 kg honey.

What I say... Couple of frame colony has only value of queen. You get them in spring
£ 25/piece.

But I warmed all hives with 15 W terrarium heater and fed pollen patty.
Without this aid my hives would be nothing. And this is not every boy's job.

Last edited:
In one case I splitted a 3-box hive to three and I put a new queens into them.

Now I strenghten my hives for winter. Minimum size is one box full of bees. I join 2 or 3 nucs or I take brood frames from giant hives.

May one ask why you think he should do that? What do you suppose the sequel might be, in other words what is Tim Rose doing today and how successful was his system and how did it stand the test of time?The proof of the pudding... etc..

He is not a commercial beekeeper any more, citing the difficulty of wet/cold weather where he is. In his own words:
https://youtu.be/nZYWucqTyWU

Doesn't constitute failure in my book. His approach was never driven by hard nosed business (example: he doesn't like feeding sugar) nor did he claim the Rose hive would get you the most honey per £ or time and materials invested. He still has a lot of hives and bees doing well. Good on him.

But I warmed all hives with 15 W terrarium heater and fed pollen patty.
Without this aid my hives would be nothing. And this is not every boy's job.

How and when do you harvest pollen for your patties Finman?

How different is it to a Langstroth, icanhopit? Genuine question, I am now really familiar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easier to work with and well suited to our (British Isles) native bees.... 2 OSB = Std Nat brood + 1/2
Nationals / OSB system and size is compatible for floors and roofs

No problem with Langstroths .... best suited to Flow hives etc etc IMOHO!

Yeghes da

Why you want to kill your hives!

Last time I treated bees was 2 years ago. Bees still alive. Maybe I'll be wiped out this winter or maybe I won't. The fact is, I won't be treating them. They'll either learn to live with them or die. They've lived with them for a few years. Maybe this is the year they'll die, if not, well get another year out of them.

One size frame makes it simple to build colonies to split or make up nucs for your spring queen rearing... and of course to overwinter queens as 2 OSB nucs fit together on standard floor under a standard roof!

Question for icanhopit. Not sure if you’ll see this as you have a new username I believe... can’t i alert you? @cheers maybe? Anyway...

Am pondering this again and interested in putting two OSB nucs side by side on a standard floor. So my question is, in order to make them fit in the 460mm width do you use thinner plywood, or make one of the pair a 5-frame? Or make your roofs a bit ‘looser’? :)

Thanks

Thanks... icanhopit is still alive and well... but due to technical difficulties now goes by the handle of Cheers... not been on here much lately as a lot of vacuous rubbish still being spouted by some!

The Rose OSB nucs I have take 5 frames and sit together on the standard Rose floor with stock roof ( all National sizing)

Debate with one of our breeding groups is if a slat should be provided to cover the gap in the floor between the two side by side nucs or do queens stay in their own box.
I have been changing over to underfloor entrance type floors and for the double nuc system making up a block to cover this gap.
How often do you find the queen hiding on the floor when looking for her in a nuc?

Exercise in vacuity maybe... bet a load of old cods will follow.... !!!
Have a nice day

Cheers

Thanks for the reply!
I was planning on solid floor.
Do you super them up for winter or run as a single layer?
Thanks
Oliver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He wasn’t. He probably noticed that some of the usuals had not posted and, lo and behold, you have just shown your true colours, I suspect.

Latest posts

Back