Over wintering Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birchdale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I had a number of poorly mated/not to my liking Queens earlier in the year.
I have some mated Queens in mini nucs which I would like to keep as insurance for the Spring. I'm away on business at the weekend and therefore I don't want to re Queen at the moment.

What is the best way to keep these Queens going overwinter?

Thanks

I'm doing the same thing in triple-decker Keiler mini-nucs ... the bottom two full of frames (and bees), and the top level with a Correx floor filled with a big chunk of fondant.

Don't forget they still need to be treated for varroa

Hi there.

Also make sure they have ventilation over winter or they will get wet and die.

I will try some in Apidea (2 "decks") again. Last year they didn't make it. This year I will cut a hole in the floor and fix some mesh or replace the floor with my own construction.

Greets
Phil

Is it better to keep them outside or in a ventilated shed?

If outside, would you put further insulation around them? Although that may give condensation problems.

If in a shed, do they need access to the outside; my sheds are very airy affairs and have many entrances!

Hi there.

What kind of mini-nuc is it?

How many of them are there and will you have supers on them?

Condensation and giving them feed in early spring are the main problems that I have come across.
I will leave the feeding "tray" in but feed from a top feeder now as the bees did not take feed from the top last spring. Some warm feed directly in the lower feed tray may work in spring. (I will need to think how to get it there - maybe via syringe and tubing)

Insulation: Top and back in my case. If you put foam between the nucs make sure it is not too thick (about an inch) otherwise mice might find it a cosy place for winter too - and the disruption will kill the bees.

Once I have the mesh floor done that will stay open over winter - like all my hives.
I would always let them have access to the open.

Greets
Phil

I have 8; 3 in apideas, 4 in kielers and 1 in a home made box!!

Not enough 'supers' for all so will have to fudge a few. The Kielers do have a sort of OMF but the others don't. I can afford to take some nurse bees from some of the full size colonies next week.

My thought is to find the Q''s, put them in bottom boxes of nurse bees with bars with new foundation strips, add a super (home made) with existing brood frames from bottom box, unite this super with the bottom box. Feed from the top.
What do you think?

Hi there.

I am not too sure how long bees in or about London keep on building on foundation....but mine have practically finished for the year.
If I gave them fresh now they would not even touch it.

The Kielers + Super should work without modification I guess.
Apidea would need an OMF ...have just decided I will make a new floor board (OMF) out of wood to fit rather than making a hole in the original Apidea floor.

Greets
Phil

I overwintered a spare queen in a double decker Apidea last year. I took the feeders out of both boxes and replaced them with 4 frames giving a total of 10 frames. I made a "sleeve" of 40mm Roofmate to fit all 4 sides, another slab on top, then a bit of ply and a couple of bricks.

I kept then supplied with fondant (on top of the queen cell hole) and they sailed through the coldest winter for quite a while and have been rearing queens for me all season:)

Latest posts

Back