Out apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
National and 14x12
What would you do?
A local landowner allows me to use his field. A few years ago he allowed another farmer to keep cattle on the land. Only informed me the night before (better than telling me afterwards). Not a problem as I fenced off my area. This year this farmer is going to harvest the grass & has complained to the landowner about my tyre tracts flattening his grass. Can’t find out when he plans on cutting grass so agreed to keep car off land for 2 weeks. Gut feeling is to start looking for another out-apiary?

sounds like he farms bullsh!t as well as cattle. I drive to one apiary through a field set aside for silage at my cousin's farm, right up to the day they mow it. He was rolling the neighbouring fields and watching me do it a week ago, when I went over to him to chat about a broken gate later, he never said a word. I passed the field yesterday and there was no trace of where I'd been.

The way its mowed, it will make no difference. Sounds like an arse, who just doesn't want to share access to the land. relocation depends on whether he keeps it up

It only makes a negative impact if you are compacting the soil by driving on it when it is wet.
No need to stay away for two weeks.
If they are reasonable person, explaining you won't be driving in the field when it is wet, or saturated unless absolutely necessary should be enough.
If they are not reasonable, and they sound like it, I would move on too. Not worth the hassel in my opinion.

Thanks for the sound advice. My gut feeling was it’s the landowner who wants me to reduce by inspection visits. Access at the moment is close to his house & he may be getting annoyed at me driving up & opening gate. The apiary is within walking distance from home so may just scale down my setup & stick with managing nucs, so no heavy supers to need the car. Can visit on foot without needing to go by his house then unload & store kit with the car less frequently. Be a shame to give up a real convenient site.

farmer ... complained to the landowner
Can’t find out when he plans on cutting grass
gut feeling was it’s the landowner
he may be getting annoyed
Lot of supposition here, so time to have a plain chat with both parties and flush out the facts. Have you spoken to the farmer, or do you have his number? Ask the landowner if the grass is the issue, or is your regular access irritating? Don't beat about the bush, but do it in a friendly way.

Ideal access is anytime you wish (moving bees) and if there is no alternative entry to the farm, it may be time to look for another local site.

When you walk up to the apiary you are making tracks as well. Move 6 inches to left or right of your track every time you go there and see if anything is mentioned.

When you walk up to the apiary you are making tracks as well. Move 6 inches to left or right of your track every time you go there and see if anything is mentioned.
The walking route is different to the drive as I avoid his house/gate do no issue with grass.

Lot of supposition here, so time to have a plain chat with both parties and flush out the facts. Have you spoken to the farmer, or do you have his number? Ask the landowner if the grass is the issue, or is your regular access irritating? Don't beat about the bush, but do it in a friendly way.

Ideal access is anytime you wish (moving bees) and if there is no alternative entry to the farm, it may be time to look for another local site.
I’ve had a good friendly relationship with the landowner. I get your point about speaking out. However I got on well over the years by just going along with the farmers suggestions. They are often a law unto themselves and as I’ve been through 10’s ++ over the years with only having to leave a couple of apiaries I haven’t done that bad.

Back