Other Hobbies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought DIY was more of a necessity than a hobby.

Fly Fishing & fly tying is my other passion although I do like bass fishing off some rocky mark on the Gower coastline.

at quick glance I read that as fly tipping

Bought a bit of land last year so sorting that out and just getting back into air rifle hunting

I would like to take up fly fishing. Do you generally eat what you catch?

Not always - I have caught the occasional bat whilst out sewin fishing and rainbow trout taste disgusting - I'd rather snack on my own winnets

It all depends if you catch something in the first place ;) On stocked lakes they sometimes have a catch and release policy but most are you catch kill and takeaway policy with no returning fish back in the water. River fishing is the ultimate but stocked lakes are ok and a nice day out. I should get out myself and dust off my technique.

If you are and you are wanting to do it from derby I am willing to share some of my local knowledge to help you and point you in the right direction

Depends what you are fishing for & where, ive fished for all freshwater game fish, pike & carp on fly. Most coarse fisheries dont allow you to take fish even if you want too. I find some rainbow trout are beautiful eating, some are not so good it depends how it is reared, some stocked rainbows end up like wild fish depending on the size of the water. Most good anglers these days prefer catch & release as i do but theres no harm in taking some to eat which i also do. Not many people like fresh trout & salmon, i say they dont cook it right, i love it, & cold smoke my own too.

What an incredibly talented lot we all are!...I guess we must all be quite old to have racked up so many experiences and so many hobbies!

I guess we must all be quite old to have racked up so many experiences and so many hobbies!

No, it just feels like it... i only have one hobby, that is beekeeping, they have completely taken over.

Gardening, mainly raising chillies and peppers, and scattering wildflower.

Baking and preserves (see chillies and peppers above).

Computers and building electronic gadgets (see also work).

3D printer tinkering, looking for some hive/bee related prints.

Would like to resume clay pigeon shooting but need to fix the shoulder first.

Used to be into pyrotechnics. Worked on national level firework displays but as you get older working in the cold and the wet looses its alure.

No, it just feels like it... i only have one hobby, that is beekeeping, they have completely taken over.

There can be nothing more satisfying than a hobby becoming a business and still be a hobby. Most people I know who have done this end up with no hobby and no business.

If you are and you are wanting to do it from derby I am willing to share some of my local knowledge to help you and point you in the right direction

I would be a few years before I would have the time to do it. Very nice of you to offer though. Thank you

Presently trying to make the new house less of a death-trap - on a tight budget, voluntary work (not as do-gooder as it sounds)...and patchwork, I'm making a bee themed quilt though - so what bracket does it fall in hobby or bee-keeping???

Classic Norton motorcycles
Yachting
Scuba diving and travel
"o" gauge steam railway
breeding axolotls
Landscape gardening and restoration of 16th Century Cornish buildings

When I get the time that is!!!

Yeghes da

breeding axolotls
a

So that's where they have all gone ?

"A four-month-long search in 2013 turned up no surviving individuals in the wild. Previous surveys in 1998, 2003 and 2008 had found 6000, 1000 and 100 axolotls per square kilometer in its Lake Xochimilco habitat, respectively." Source Wikipedia.

Now resident in sunny cornwall ... told you that the UK was getting warmer !

So that's where they have all gone ?

"A four-month-long search in 2013 turned up no surviving individuals in the wild. Previous surveys in 1998, 2003 and 2008 had found 6000, 1000 and 100 axolotls per square kilometer in its Lake Xochimilco habitat, respectively." Source Wikipedia.

Now resident in sunny cornwall ... told you that the UK was getting warmer !
:thanks:
Sadly so... massive destruction of habitat... although did see a program some months ago showing axolotles " in the wild"... cut in aquarium shots!

I have been breeding axolotls on and off for 52 years, had my first pair when I was 8... they are a temperate species, too much warmth will kill them!
Due to the ability to regrow limbs, and their fairly unique habit of not growing up, there are more... thousands more axolotles in captivity than in the wild.

I have had problems with viral diseases in the last couple of decades.. possibly from crate loads of them brought in from overseas.... may bee a parallel to beekeepering there!

Yeghes da

Bit of my work.

Attachments

• PICT1771.JPG
    PICT1771.JPG
    890.9 KB · Views: 18
  • PICT1841.JPG
    PICT1841.JPG
    663 KB · Views: 25
  • PICT1844.JPG
    PICT1844.JPG
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 27