OSR - the weather just stresses you out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeline

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is my second year of not taking my bees to the OSR and I have to say, I'm probably a lot more pleasant to be around as I'm not constantly watching the weather and ranting off because the temps are hovering around 10-13 degrees.

You end up wishing away the cool but sometimes bright spring days just to hopefully get temps of 15 and above for the OSR to yield properly. Crazy!

I've now resided myself to the fact that spring is all about building them up for the summer flow. :coolgleamA:

btw - rubbish temps of max 11 degrees are due in the S.E until at least 30 April according to the BBC so I'll be feeding 1:1 to tide them over this period.

The only way to stay sane. Nothing you can do about it

Nah, shirley the way to go is to obsessively go from forecast to forecast until you spot one with a glimmer of hope. I couldn't find much, anybody got a link to a wildly optimistic online forecast?

Who needs to go to OSR to obsess about Temps, wind and Sun !!

I check many times daily hoping the forecast improves to allow full on foraging ! :D

So it's not just me then. Before I started keeping bees....I thought...how lovely to sit in the garden watching the bees buzzing from flower to flower. Lazy warm summer days...HA .....I spend most of the time fretting about the cold winds...checking the forecast.....checking the forecast of places where beekeepers talk of adding a third super......
It sure is challenging being a beekeeper on my hill...

So it's not just me then. Before I started keeping bees....I thought...how lovely to sit in the garden watching the bees buzzing from flower to flower. Lazy warm summer days...HA .....I spend most of the time fretting about the cold winds...checking the forecast.....checking the forecast of places where beekeepers talk of adding a third super......
It sure is challenging being a beekeeper on my hill...

It can be pretty challenging dealing with hundreds of thousands of females on the flat, never mind the hill.:sorry:

Latest posts

Back