OSR Spraying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malx

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I've managed to find a spot in the middle of a huge OSR field and have asked the farmer to let me know before he sprays the crop. As this is my first year with my colonies at this location i'm a bit unsure what to do when he sprays.

I was under the impression that i could block up the entrances early in the morning/night before and once he's stopped spraying i can unblock them at the end of the day.

Would that be sufficient or would it be better just to pack up and leave the site?
If i can leave them blocked up what would be the maximum time to do so?

I'd rather ask a stupid question now that lose all my bees :(

Any advice, gratefully received.

Not all sprays are dangerous to the bees. Fertilizers for instance.

Congrats by the way on finding an OSR site.

Latterly I gave up on shutting in and as far as I could see it made no odds.

I would though have a chat with your man and find out what his intended program is and how he will inform you if he lets loose. Bear in mind he may be using a contractor and the timing in that case may well be out of his hands.

Remember though you are a guest on his land so gently gently. :)

PH

If he sprays for pollen beetle might be worth shutting them in; or ask farmer if possible he could spray early in the day before they are flying - but as PH says may be out of his control.

He's not likely to be spraying for pollen beetle now (check here https://cereals.ahdb.org.uk/media/1...-control-of-pollen-beetle-in-oilseed-rape.pdf for why).

He might be spraying for seed weevil and pod midge, but the labels of the products he will be using will recommend avoiding spraying during the middle of the day (e.g. here: http://www3.syngenta.com/country/ROSSuk/en/ProductGuide/Pages/HallmarkwithZeonTechnology.aspx

It's illegal to not follow the label recommendations, so I doubt that the farmer or the contractor will play silly beggars and spray when your bees are foraging.

If you ask him what he's spraying for, and what products he's using, you can make an informed choice. If possible, get the mobile number of the agronomist who gives him his advice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

He's going to call me before he starts so i assume the night before and I think he's doing it himself.
I'll try and find out what he's spraying for.

Is there anything that should set alarm bells ringing i should watch out for?

It's a great site and hoping to use it next year so treading carefully with him. That said when i mentioned bees he seemed very keen.

He's not likely to be spraying for pollen beetle now (check here https://cereals.ahdb.org.uk/media/1...-control-of-pollen-beetle-in-oilseed-rape.pdf for why).

He might be spraying for seed weevil and pod midge, but the labels of the products he will be using will recommend avoiding spraying during the middle of the day (e.g. here: http://www3.syngenta.com/country/ROSSuk/en/ProductGuide/Pages/HallmarkwithZeonTechnology.aspx

It's illegal to not follow the label recommendations, so I doubt that the farmer or the contractor will play silly beggars and spray when your bees are foraging.

If you ask him what he's spraying for, and what products he's using, you can make an informed choice. If possible, get the mobile number of the agronomist who gives him his advice.

at this time, maybe spraying a fungicide such as Prothioconazole or similar

Thanks for the replies.

He's going to call me before he starts so i assume the night before and I think he's doing it himself.
I'll try and find out what he's spraying for.

Is there anything that should set alarm bells ringing i should watch out for?

It's a great site and hoping to use it next year so treading carefully with him. That said when i mentioned bees he seemed very keen.

All the products he's likely to use are much of a muchness, WRT bees. The seed weevil products are the same as most of the pollen beetle products, so pyrethroids.

Got a call from the farmer this morning as he is going to spray but he said it's only fungicide so no harm will come to the bees.
When he does a pesticide spary in 4 weeks time i'll lock them in for while.

I would still try and lock them in myself maybe morning to evening on the spray day my farmer did not give me enough warning and it worried the heck out of me.

Got a text this morning to say they are spraying this afternoon. Quick dash out of bed and to the site where I've blocked them in. Lots of bees returning and clustering on the front but not much can be done I guess.

Was toying whether to shut them in or not but I'd be like tanker John and worry about it.

Will return this evening and unplug. Still trying to find out what he's spraying them with.

Latest posts

Back