OSR South Northants

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudor bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6 and lots of nucs
Just had a look at some of my hives
And the OSR is coming out in flower.
It's about 2-3 weeks to soon for my
Hives.

think there will be a few in the same boat this year,, around here some fields are about 2 foot high and buds are showing

There is a field of OSR just coming into flower about 400 yards away from us.
I have not seen bees flying off in that direction yet, although they are bringing some different pollens (snowdrop and crocus).

How long do OSR flowers last to be of any use to the bees?

Its the temperature that needs to be right for the plant to produce nectar

18 degrees Celsius if I remember correctly. It's coming out down South too, but very patchy at the moment.

How long do OSR flowers last to be of any use to the bees?

How long is a piece of string?

Can vary from a couple of weeks to about eight. Just not much use for bees unless the weather is good for them to get pollinated. Individual florets are different to the whole plant in flower.

2012 was a good example. OSR came into flower the last week in March but the bees got no more than bare subsistence until the last week in May.

I've had a good look round my bit of Cheshire and there seems to be very little planted this year. I've seen a couple of fields that are starting to come into bloom, but nothing within flying distance of my bees.

A lot of farmers have had a bad few years with OSR and the weather playing games

what was the winter like over in uk, osr here is yet to start growing again, and does it get grazed by pigeons much?

what was the winter like over in uk, osr here is yet to start growing again, and does it get grazed by pigeons much?

think all the pigeons near me drown this winter

well drained land is is partial bloom, flood plains are still under water!! in some areas

when i said a field OSR was coming into bloom at the end of february, no one believed me " must be weeds, "well my bees are bringing bucket loads of yellow pollen from that big yellow field of "weeds"

but too early for me as agian my gut feeling was to put on pollen subs patteis in early february but others on here convinced me it was too early, next timei will follow my instinct

Last edited:
We had the EBKA AGM last week and there was rape in flower when I drove across the county to attend.

think all the pigeons near me drown this winter

well drained land is is partial bloom, flood plains are still under water!! in some areas

when i said a field OSR was coming into bloom at the end of february, no one believed me " must be weeds, "well my bees are bringing bucket loads of yellow pollen from that big yellow field of "weeds"

but too early for me as agian my gut feeling was to put on pollen subs patteis in early february but others on here convinced me it was too early, next timei will follow my instinct

Back