OSR Myth?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
When I started beekeeping 5 years ago, I was ready for this great OSR problem that would set hard in frames and bees would travel for miles to get at it ignoring everything else.

Even when my hives have been next to OSR fields I have not had this problem and I think only a small percentage of my honey has been from OSR, to the extent that last year it took 6 weeks to set in a bucket.

I walked through a field of OSR in full bloom today and only counted 3 honey bees during my 20 minute walk. My beginners course taught me that bees would travel for 3 miles to get at this stuff and if there were three bees surely there should have been thousands. I can only assume that the bees were elsewhere on another type of crop and not that interested in OSR.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

My bees are working the OSR very hard. However, when you compare the number of flower heads available to them in a moderate size field, you could easily lose a few hundred thousand and not even know they were there in force.

Also, the fields generally get pollinated from the edges inward and some areas get pollinated very quickly, so the bees may have been nearer the centre of the field.

One of my apiaries is in the centre of a 100 acre field of OSR with a further 12 fields within one mile radius. Have not seen one bee on the OSR yet, but when you see them return, they are definitely working it....

If there is OSR next to them then they will be working it and your colonies will have predominantly OSR nectar/honey given the right conditions. You won't necessarily see them on the crop but they will be on it.

Peter

There have been reports over several years that some types of OSR do not yield much nectar. This may be the case here - the farmer has sown a none nectar producing variety.

There have also been reports of OSR honey that does not behave in the "classic OSR" manner, ie fails to set off.

I think though your bees are busy on it.

PH

Depends what time of day studies have shown that bees forage osr till about 10.30am then after 3pm

Bees working OSR do not work in a 'spread over a whole field of it' kind of fashion. Instead, each colony might be working only a small area of the OSR ... the bit in the middle that you generally do not see them working.

Back