ordering frames/wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Order SN1 frames for your supers and 10 frame castellations or wide plastic spacers (castellations seem to be the way forward at the moment!) then either DN 4 or DN5 frames for your brood box - depends whether you think that the extra £8.00 is worth it - FWIW I've never had a problem with brace comb between the top bars on my DN4's.
CW Jones castellations are about half the price of others but especially for small orders you have to factor in postage.
If you don't want to bother with castellations or spacers in the supers then use Manley frames instead.

So short answer is order SN1 frames for your supers and either DN4 or 5 for your broods KISS :D

Order SN1 frames for your supers and 10 frame castellations or wide plastic spacers (castellations seem to be the way forward at the moment!) then either DN 4 or DN5 frames for your brood box - depends whether you think that the extra £8.00 is worth it - FWIW I've never had a problem with brace comb between the top bars on my DN4's.
CW Jones castellations are about half the price of others but especially for small orders you have to factor in postage.
If you don't want to bother with castellations or spacers in the supers then use Manley frames instead.

So short answer is order SN1 frames for your supers and either DN4 or 5 for your broods KISS :D

But if you were trying to finesse things, you could just get 50 SN1's (or SN2 or SN4 or SN5 to choice) and add 22 (2x11) DN4/5 sidebars ...

Re Thorne's castellations - their 'ordinary' ones are a bit long (being intended to fit into slots in the end walls of their supers. However their "Bees on a Budget" castellations should fit straight into a standard-sized box.

And if you haven't yet fitted the boxes (the brood box at least) with rails, you should take the opportunity of the order to get that hardware at the same time.

Ordering 40 DN4 frames, 90 SN1 frames, 40 deep wired foundation and 90 shallow wired foundation for my 3 hives. Will be ordering the suites and starter kit next week and some spacers for the frames.

Ordering 40 DN4 frames, 90 SN1 frames, 40 deep wired foundation and 90 shallow wired foundation for my 3 hives. Will be ordering the suites and starter kit next week and some spacers for the frames.
At the risk of telling you what you've already found, most of the larger English suppliers will supply to Ireland but you usually have to ring for a quote on postage. Makes it a bit tedious to compare the net prices if you have to ring each and difficult to price various combinations.

You might find several suppliers have price breaks for 50 items. For instance Thornes do frames in 10s or 50s (and 50 at sale price currently) so 4*10 packs of DN4 would be over 59 quid, while a 50 pack in the sale is 29. The timber is described as "second quality" which means a knot or two but the machining is identical. A batch of 50 would have no more than one or two frames you couldn't use. Another point is that a BS Deep box set up for brood will have 11 frames, so most carry a few frames spare over to the next season anyway.

At the risk of telling you what you've already found, most of the larger English suppliers will supply to Ireland but you usually have to ring for a quote on postage. Makes it a bit tedious to compare the net prices if you have to ring each and difficult to price various combinations.

You might find several suppliers have price breaks for 50 items. For instance Thornes do frames in 10s or 50s (and 50 at sale price currently) so 4*10 packs of DN4 would be over 59 quid, while a 50 pack in the sale is 29. The timber is described as "second quality" which means a knot or two but the machining is identical. A batch of 50 would have no more than one or two frames you couldn't use. Another point is that a BS Deep box set up for brood will have 11 frames, so most carry a few frames spare over to the next season anyway.

I was on thornes site and cant see where they sell seconds. I was ordering them on abelo but finding it difficult because they dont have ireland on the order form. Have went onto CW jones site which is very slow and hard to find my way around it and now back on thornes looking for 2nds :hairpull::hairpull:

£42 postage to rep of ireland:rant: Ive had bigger packages from other places cost £10. These postage costs are crazy IMO

Not sure where you are on the island, but Thornes do another sale at start of March to coincide with the Ulster BKA Conference. If you order what you want, they will bring it over on their lorry at you can collect it at Greenmount agricultural college, just outside Antrim (and enjoy the conference while your here)

Not sure where you are on the island, but Thornes do another sale at start of March to coincide with the Ulster BKA Conference. If you order what you want, they will bring it over on their lorry at you can collect it at Greenmount agricultural college, just outside Antrim (and enjoy the conference while your here)

Im from north belfast but living in mayo. Might just go with what you mention. When is it that one receives nucs in early spring, is march to early ?

With imported queens it's usually end of April-May.

Sounds good. Ill wait then untill the next sale. As for imported queens, can you tell me what type of bees you have over in uk. Here we have native dark bees but also buckfast bees and im in 2 minds of what to get hold of.

I was on thornes site and cant see where they sell seconds. I was ordering them on abelo but finding it difficult because they dont have ireland on the order form. Have went onto CW jones site which is very slow and hard to find my way around it and now back on thornes looking for 2nds :hairpull::hairpull:

e-mail your order to abelo, low cost postage rates

e-mail your order to abelo, low cost postage rates

Yes but they dont sell the frames in 50s. You have to buy them in 10s at same price when i buy 100 so i get screwed that way

Last edited:
Here we have native dark bees

Then you are very fortunate IMHO, and should think twice about diluting the good work and effort of others by bringing in imported stock.

Yes but they dont sell the frames in 50s. You have to buy them in 10s at same price when i buy 100 so i get screwed that way

Yes, but if you buy 10 x 10 frames will cost £85.00 from others 1 x 100 frames will be over £130.00

Back