Opening and closing MB poly hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just taken the bottom ones off, not ideal but I'm getting rid of the MB boxes entirely

But you've given me a reason to try taking both off and seeing what happens.

I'll let you try it first, and see how you get on. :D

Are these Nationals?

I suspect the hives being talked about are Langstroth as the Nationals don't have a 'lip' per se on top!

I have a MB Lang and found vaseline and smoke made opening easy. A quick puff and placing the top box on diagonally and sliding into place kept casualties to a minimum- on a par with a wooden national.
Mind you, my bees are pretty laid back during inspections.. (must be the cannabis resin in the smoker :eek: :paparazzi:

I have 4 of those National hives and don't see where the top lip is??

Yes, sorry - you're right. I'm thousands of miles away from my hives just now - so didn't check.

The top surface is bevelled, rather than having a lip. The result is still the same: the box above overlaps the one below.
Kitta

...Secondly I want to reduce the number of bees that I squash when I close up. I gently slide the top box across until it is about to drop into position. I work on my own and smoke as best as I can but as soon as I put the smoker down the bees are crawling over the wall again (in an MB hive the walls are 4cm thick)...

I recently read about this method.

Make or buy a simple wooden wedge. Place the wedge on the top edge of the hive, lower the super down onto the wedge, and then slowly on to the opposite side of the hive. Then waggle the wedge until it comes free.

This provides a way to lower the super on to the hive without having to hold all the weight of the super all the time. As the wedge is wiggled out, the space will slowly get smaller in a controlled way. It also gives you a free hand to brush away any remaining bees.

Sounds a reasonable idea for heavy supers. Has anyone tried this?

I use these and never really have a problem. Just wiggle gently to break. Take your time, don't force tool in.
As for putting back I tend to line up box first to support and then slide into place, pushing bees out the way.

Latest posts

Back