Open Mesh Ceiling!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackstraw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Went to check on my girls on Sunday.
Somewhat surprised to find them upside down. I can only assume that the table acted like a sail and when the winds blew over they went. They weren't like that in late December and as the only high winds since I last saw them then was about 10 days ago they've been the wrong way up for just over a week.
The table's made of decking and 4in square fence posts so it is not light, especially when its wet and even more so with two colonies on it. Moreover it is in the lea of the garden.
Open mesh floors became open mesh ceilings. Any heat in there will have gone straight out, and I don't suppose the recent rain will have made it an attractive place to live.
Thankfully double straps kept the boxes together.
Turned them the right way up and had a look fearing the worst. Double glazed crown board (A rated Pilkington glass no less!!) meant I could have a leisurely look without them getting cold.
Relieved to see a decent cluster in the centre of each box. I think I've got away with it this time
Moral is put extra bricks on the table to weigh it down and double strap the boxes - just in case

Might be worth an idea to use those big screw-in pegs (that people use to clip dog leads to) and attach ratchet straps to them if you have a recuring problem where the hives are positioned. Or just hammer a bloody great stake into the ground.

Certainly there is a case for slats rather than close-boarding. It is sometimes amazing how tough a colony can be in adverse conditions.

That is no excuse for imposing those sort of conditions on the bees, mind.

Good luck, they deserve to get through after that and all the rain we have had.

RAB

Might be a good idea to strap the 'table' down to a large paving slab or somesuch. Some even cast concrete 'ground anchors' into the ground for security (in as many meanings as you wish). At a pinch, jerrycans of water can do as your ballast... (and the lower it is, the better.)
And tentpegs would help secure the pecker-proofing.

As noted, once the table starts tipping, its wind resistance will increase further, and over it will go.

Pushed over,maybe?
What I was thinking, two or four legged animals. My allotment bees are on a stand with fence posts as legs. Fence posts driven 18 inches to 2 feet in the ground.

Question is ,did the wind blow the cage over which took the hive stand with it, or did the hives and stand knock the cage over ?
I once had two heavy rabbit hutches about three metres from the rear wall of the house . During an over night gale, the wind had hit the rear wall head on ,eddied in someway and flipped the hutches over a low wall onto the garden below against the direction of the wind flow!
Thankfully the occupants of both hives were okay! :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sox hutches blush!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Certainly there is a case for slats rather than close-boarding.

I'd have agreed with you until recently, but our slatted garden bench has blown over a couple of times - never happened before.

Latest posts

Back