OK folks some advice please........

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgeek

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I obtained a 5 frame Nuc 10 days ago. Queen present along with what appeared to be a healthy amount of bees. 2 frame of brood. some capped some still open with healthy looking larvae present. Have not seen any eggs yet. I have taken the point from my practicals on newbie course that my glasses no longer cut the mustard and have had eyes tested and new glasses ready :).
Brood frames had what I can only describe as a textbook look to them for brood arrangement, colour and position of food around outer edge of frame.
1 frame of comb being drawn, 1 frame of stores, 1 frame of foundation
On returning to apiary opened Nuc and bees promptly poured out, crapped all over my hand and quickly settled into what I again would describe as textbook orientation flying.

Transferred bees to my National the following day on advice of provider and mentor. Bees did not seem unduly concerned or worried by my efforts. My shiny smoker seemed to be redundant. Did not see queen. Cursory look only as I wanted to get them into the new hive and settled as soon as possible.

With the pants weather I was advised to 'pamper' them a bit and put 1:1 mixture in to give them something to work with while waiting for the weather to improve. A quick in, replenish feeder and lid back on hive as it was around 1930 and the evening a bit cooler. I did this last Wednesday. I feel with stores available already and this feed they did not need checking for another 7 days. Don't want to harrass them when they are still getting used to the neighbourhood. Just out of interest do any of you think I should have gone back sooner? Obviously a bit late now but interested in the experienced opinions.

Have wandered down every other day( weather dependent) and had a note of activity in/out and they seem to be doing as they should with plenty of activity. (hah, as if I am experienced enough to know yet ;)). No sign of wasps or such like.

Intend to do a more thorough check Wednesday evening (weather dependent). First full check and in a case of classic planning mentor on holiday and more experienced friend potentially to ill to assist. However thanks to my course I do feel confident enough to give it a go (thanks Mike)

Know I should have a plan. So here it is (items in no particular order):
1. starting at frame 1 -
check for queen
visible increase/decrease in size of bees present
note the demeanour of the bees, so far placid and quiet.
Check for food stocks (if concerned feed with mixture brought with me)
check for brood state
check for eggs
check for drawn comb
look for QC

Notes to be taken as soon as the lid is back on before my failing memory strikes again. Objective is to be in and out as quickly and as smoothly as possible to avoid disturbing them too much. Queen is not yet marked as I intend to get experienced hands in place to guide me through that particular minefield first time round.

I have trawled books and notes from course and think I have my list about right. Can anyone suggest something I may have missed or should consider?

Being a Noob at this game and cautious by nature I thought I would double check if there might be something I had missed or something else I should consider.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

(have also read forum sticky on having a thick skin, so before anyone askes I have done a search for as many keywords as I can and cannot find the particular combination of answers I am looking for):D

You seem to have a good handle on matters.

One concern I have is that a good five frame nuc should have at least three of brood and moving on to four, or at least thats how I sell mine.

Apart from that quibble, and that should have been reflected in the price you paid and no I am not asking...all seems well.

Just make sure you have space on both sides for them to work on. I would have them arranged to one side with foundation, nuc, then remaining foundation. If by some chance they are so and the one foundation tween wall and nuc is drawn or being worked on I would put another foundation in between the worked on and the nuc if you follow?

If you can see eggs there is no need to hunt the queen every inspection as so many do to no avail apart from annoying the bees...

Enjoy your bees and welcome to the forum.

PH

do you have children? A new parent of a first child goes through what you are doing... ;)

relax... beekeeping is a hobby of patience. 7 days is plenty short enough. Only my most active hives get that luxury, but even then not always!

Whilst the weather is crappy, they will be sitting with their feet up doing very little. They will be out between the rain showers.

Many of my smaller colonys are living hand to mouth, with not a great deal of stores at the moment. I have been doing a bit of globetrotting with work just lately, and have only had time to give the hives the briefest of looks.
Many are doing very little, some have been going backwards! Only a small number have been progressing, but still very slowly.

Watch for eggs\brood. If they have some, all is well. If they do not, as you only have one hive, make friends with a beekeeping buddy.

Watch for queen cells. if you don't have a spare hive, then keep the colony a little on the 'loose' side. As it was recently a NUC, there is little to worry about regardless.

If you have given them a shot of food, I personally would not worry. They will get more goodness from the nectar and pollen they bring in.

If the weather warms up, then you will start to see progress :chillpill:

Thanks PH,

I now understand what you mean about the numbers of brood frames in a purchased Nuc. I have put that one down to a Newbie mistake and jumping a bit quick. live and learn.

Thanks for the advice about the foundation. Had already positioned them in the middle of the new foundation, so will do the shuffle of frames if I find the drawn comb as you describe.

VMT for responding.

do you have children? A new parent of a first child goes through what you are doing... ;)

relax... beekeeping is a hobby of patience. 7 days is plenty short enough. Only my most active hives get that luxury, but even then not always!

Whilst the weather is crappy, they will be sitting with their feet up doing very little. They will be out between the rain showers.

Many of my smaller colonys are living hand to mouth, with not a great deal of stores at the moment. I have been doing a bit of globetrotting with work just lately, and have only had time to give the hives the briefest of looks.
Many are doing very little, some have been going backwards! Only a small number have been progressing, but still very slowly.

Watch for eggs\brood. If they have some, all is well. If they do not, as you only have one hive, make friends with a beekeeping buddy.

Watch for queen cells. if you don't have a spare hive, then keep the colony a little on the 'loose' side. As it was recently a NUC, there is little to worry about regardless.

If you have given them a shot of food, I personally would not worry. They will get more goodness from the nectar and pollen they bring in.

If the weather warms up, then you will start to see progress :chillpill:

Thanks Pete. You would think with 2 kids dealt with and now booted out.....sorry making their own way in the world I would have the 'sit back and let it happen' weighed off by now:) Thought I was being patient:willy_nilly:

Latest posts

Back