Oil Seed Rape Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
For those like myself who do not like the process to get it soft set start liking it and get in the hang of doing it properly..
The reason for this post is i am surrounded by the stuff and it has been the bane of my life regarding honey bees for the past few years..
Today changed my mind on two occasions..
The first was a lady i have been giving honey to for free..(soft set mixed floral rape honey)..she asked me for some more today but she said she does not want OSR honey as it is horrible..i said to her you have been getting OSR honey from me all the time and she said can i have some more.. ha..
The second was my brother..he was asking for honey today for all his work colleagues..i said i will not have any runny honey till August..he said no all the folk want that creamed stuff..so from now on i will bite the bullet and crack on going through the monotonous process of soft setting the stuff..

When I’ve done events in the past, if you offer tastings it’s about a 50/50 split runny and set

Whilst creamed honey is delicious, OSR honey jarred 48 hours after extraction sells fine for me, about the same rate as runny summer honey. Very hard set, very easy.

If you want to take all the hard work out of soft set...can recommend an electric creamer like the one below. Add liquid honey and your soft set "seed" then go away for a few days..
You will all be needing something to spend your honey money on.

urzadzenie-do-kremowania-miodu-230v-na-wiadro-polipropylenowe-18l.jpg

If you want to take all the hard work out of soft set...can recommend an electric creamer like the one below. Add liquid honey and your soft set "seed" then go away for a few days..
You will all be needing something to spend your honey money on.

urzadzenie-do-kremowania-miodu-230v-na-wiadro-polipropylenowe-18l.jpg

I don't have the collateral to splash out on those handy pieces of equipment..however I have bits and bobs laid about to use and improvise adapt and overcome...
After seeing your link my head started spinning with ideas and I came up with this..it is 24v with lots of umph and I have two of them..the little piece of wood near the trigger is the speed controller..let's see how it performs..it has been going for a while now in a bucket full of water and washing up liquid..

Attachments

• 20190511_180831-01.jpeg
    20190511_180831-01.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190511_180806-01.jpeg
    20190511_180806-01.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 35
Watch out you dont burn out those drills.

Bosch green arent the best at keeping up with jobs that require a lot of torque. Bosch blue arent that much better.

You'd be surprised how much effort is going into spinning those bits through honey.

Millet, they want to be turning slowly...15 minutes on 1 hour off...that paint mixer thingy will introduce too much air if it is driven too fast. Then like old fashioned milk the cream will rise to the top....(froth)...
been there...got the badge.

Watch out you dont burn out those drills.

Bosch green arent the best at keeping up with jobs that require a lot of torque. Bosch blue arent that much better.

You'd be surprised how much effort is going into spinning those bits through honey.

I have used the same drill for two years in a row now and the other one is desperate for a go..like i say lets see how it performs this year..if it busts i will try something else..;)

Millet, they want to be turning slowly...15 minutes on 1 hour off...that paint mixer thingy will introduce too much air if it is driven too fast. Then like old fashioned milk the cream will rise to the top....(froth)...
been there...got the badge.

I have messed on with it and have the speed perfect..it also pulls the honey up over from the bottom instead of down from the top so hopefully no air is induced..i have done it by hand for the past two seasons and it is a pain so this should help..if it fails i will look for a mains powered drill wired to a timer..;)

This is my first year of osr. Am i correct in 10% seed to 90% osr honey. Warm the seed till softer then thoroughly mix together. Jar it and let it rest at 12 degrees. Is there a better way with osr honey mines already thickening in the bucket so must crack on

No seed needed with osr.... I leave to become solid... Then couple of days at 35c..then whizz... Be careful not to aerate when mixing... Jar... Experts will be along to differ shortly

There are several methods of making soft set honey.
If the final product is so smooth you can barely feel any crystals on your tongue then you have got it about right. When you can't feel any crystals at all you have perfected it.

If soft set honey is, as the name suggests, is indeed “set” how do you jar it? Doesn’t it get stuck in the settling tank/honey gate? Or do you spoon it into the jars?

My understanding is after its been seeded and thoroughly mixed, while its still pourable it goes into jars and thickens of sets in the jar.

If soft set honey is, as the name suggests, is indeed “set” how do you jar it? Doesn’t it get stuck in the settling tank/honey gate? Or do you spoon it into the jars?

While it is being soft set it is warmed up to the required temperature...that makes it the same consistency as runny honey..it is then regularly stirred until you are happy with it..when it starts cooling it starts to change colour but it stays runny this is roughly about the time i jar it..but before it is jarred it is left to settle for 24hrs somewhere warm so any air bubbles float to the top..this forms a little layer of scum on the surface..it is easily removed by laying a piece of cling film over the surface and then slowly peeling it of..after that it is removed from the bucket with a kitchen jug and poured into jars..

Back