Observation Hive Entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiftyjon

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
a few more than 10
Does anyone know what might be the longest length of pipe that could be used for the entrance to an observation hive?

Also what might be the largest sensible diameter for the pipe?

Thanks

There is an observation hive at RHS Harlow Karr (- spelling police dont seem to like the word should be a C) (near Harrogate) that must have a 1.5m entrance pipe, looks to be about 2cm dia. Entrance is at about 2.5m off ground, runs horizontal through a pitched roof then down to a 4 frame perspex sided Obs hive at chest level. That must be sustainable it's been running like that for years. R

Last edited:
Does anyone know what might be the longest length of pipe that could be used for the entrance to an observation hive?

Thanks

cant help with the latter question, but mine is 2' long so it reaches out of a mesh covered window. Only use it short term, for a small colony (or q plus split) ((how does the 3rd symbol work on a laptop key???)that fits in entirely to take to shows/events etc.

too slow again:.) trying to figure out how to use the plus sign:.)

I have seen a pic of one where there must have been a good 30 feet of pipe. Prob 1" dia or so. Had a piece of twine threaded through it to give some grip for the bees on the vertical section.

PH

Thanks for the replies.

Running a piece of thread through it sounds like a reasonable idea for the vertical sections.

The location I'm thinking of setting one up in would require a pipe run of around 10 feet, with some vertical.

The internal dimensions would be around the 14x12 brood size.

Have seen pics of one that went quite a way up the wall and then outside.
The one on mine is about a metre in total from bottom a hive to the outside. Piece of clear plastic pipe that fits inside the white plastic household waste pipe.
Dont go too small as the bees operate a one way system.
Had to roughen up the inside of the vertical bit when I first installed it as they couldnt get a grip, but after a day of plodding about with sticky feet they had no more problems.
I suppose you can use any maximum size you want but no point being too big.

Entrance is at about 2.5m off ground, runs horizontal through a pitched roof
I assume that is so they dont fly into passing public when on the final flight path.

I assume that is so they dont fly into passing public when on the final flight path.

yes, we'll above head height. But it's a central and busy part of the gardens so it clearly works given how long it's been there.

Thanks

You got your eye on the one on ebay then?

There is an observation hive at RHS Harlow Karr (- spelling police dont seem to like the word should be a C) (near Harrogate) that must have a 1.5m entrance pipe, looks to be about 2cm dia. Entrance is at about 2.5m off ground, runs horizontal through a pitched roof then down to a 4 frame perspex sided Obs hive at chest level. That must be sustainable it's been running like that for years. R

I have been looking after it for the last two years. But can claim no credit for the original construction which is very professional.

The vertical shaft was intended to be a periscope so people could see the bees working by using a slanted mirror at the bottom of the shaft! The horizontal connector is a piece of electrical trunking. It was designed to make sure the bees fly out about 3 metres above head height and we have had no problems with bees 'pinging' the visitors.

The bees have no trouble coping with the trunking when they are introduced in May and very soon find their way out. I move them at dusk so they have the whole night to get used to their new home and location.

With hindsight, I would say that the exit is too small. If the bees get chilled I have a problem with them struggling to carry corpses out to be disposed of - they get stuck in the exit. Luckily it is fairly easy to clear out.

The observation hive itself is very much the standard type holding two brood and one honey frames and I have put as much insulation as I can on the observation doors. The viewing panes are glass double glazing to try and keep the heat in as well. My main concern is that they are in a frost pocket and vulnerable to late frosts.

We are looking at moving the site and I have been told that installing the observation hive in a gazebo is a much better solution; for watching the bees in low light, providing more shelter in bad weather and making sure that the bees exit through a blank wall well away from visitors.

So, can anyone point me towards photos of such a superior installation please?

I found a lot of ideas by doing a Google "Images" search.

Have you seen that bee farm(?) place on the road between Scarborough and Pickering?

Last edited:
Is there two entrances in that pic? How would you go about cleaning the glass to be able to see them after they have propolised it up?

You take the ob outside remove a side and clean with white spirit then wash and rinse thoroughly and repeat for the other side.

Just remember to block the entrance on the inside whilst you do it....LOL

PH

Is there two entrances in that pic? How would you go about cleaning the glass to be able to see them after they have propolised it up?

They dont propolise it that much... Just make it messy. I scrape mine over on the inside with a Stanley blade when I take them outside for an AS.

You got your eye on the one on ebay then?

No, I have one already that holds two national brood frames.

I'm thinking along the lines of making one with just top bars, letting the bees draw down.

The internal size around a 14 x 12 brood box.

Will be interesting to watch them build the comb, but I would use empty frames and not just top bars, because you will at some point want to take some out because of lack of space for them.

I originally built mine as two frames but was advised to go for four frames, so I altered the design.. More room for increase which happens very quick and they will then bugger off. My queeen was clipped and they came back because she wasnt with them... She'd fallen in the bushes under the entrance.

Last edited:
I found a lot of ideas by doing a Google "Images" search.

Cheers Dishmop,

I have looked a lot at Google Images.

The trouble is that they are all photos of the observation hive - not the weatherproof shed/gazebo.

Most people are either displaying them in a temporary structure for a show, or permanently inside a building. What I am after is a weatherproof structure that could be moved in the winter.

chriscmd can you be more precise? Do you want them as a temp set up or permanent? They are of course movable within the usual colony constraints.

I am trying to persuade my beloved to let me build one for the Guesthouse but she is worried guests may refuse to go past it to their rooms...LOL

PH

I am trying to persuade my beloved to let me build one for the Guesthouse but she is worried guests may refuse to go past it to their rooms...LOL

We had new windows fitted middle of November and I'd had to arrange it so that all the hives were locked down for the day. There was some other fitting teams in the area came and they kept coming around to have a look at the obs hive.

Back