Observation about spiders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beersmith

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I checked one of my colonies today. Only a quick look. Took off the roof, took off the insulation board, then without removing it, a brief look through the polycarbonate cover to check everything was in order. No more than a couple of minutes later it was all back together

Everything seemed fine but I did notice a smallish number of spiders on the top bars. I counted about eight or ten. They were small and dark, each about one quarter the size of a bee. I got the impression they were not doing any harm or damage, possibly just enjoying the cozy conditions.

I am not very experienced, so this was not something I had observed before. I am hoping they are just happily coexisting. Is this common? Any cause for concern?

Last edited:
All is fine plenty of other critters inhabit the corners of hives.

Likely Italian small hive spider call the rbi.....only joking

It's the leopard slugs I don't like. I've scattered slug pellets round the legs of the stand.
Where do the damned things come from. The only place I ever see them is in the hives in spring.

It's the leopard slugs I don't like. I've scattered slug pellets round the legs of the stand.
Where do the damned things come from. The only place I ever see them is in the hives in spring.

Aren't they carnivorous? Will the pellets work?

Interesting we are not seeing any book scorpions in our hives any more. These are a small form of spider that look like a scorpion.
These were often seen in old Skep hives and are still found in some feral tree nests. As their prey is very small insects they were once considered beneficial in helping with tracheal mite problems.....
They need the right hiding places...varroa control???

Who knows....

false-scorpion-1024x480.jpg

They are called book scorpions (as well as other names) due to them being often found by old books where book lice and dust mites were often found.

Last edited:
Pseudoscorpions. 27 species in the UK

I always find lots of woodlice when I take the lid off in winter (for OA treatment). They are not inside, that would indicate a big moisture problem, but they lurk under the lips of the roofs. I like woodlice, they do a marvellous job of clearing up dead wood -- shame some of them didn't work at my old company :)

Wow! How did the adder get into the hive? Have they got the ability to slim down like a slug and an octopus?

Maybe the slug persuaded the octypus to use its testicles to lift the crown board for the snake:D

Although it would be a bit crowded with all three in there - and I'd definitely be concerned about the moisture level

Maybe the slug persuaded the octypus to use its testicles to lift the crown board for the snake:D

Although it would be a bit crowded with all three in there - and I'd definitely be concerned about the moisture level

LOL didn't realise their balls were that strong....perhaps tentacles was the word that eluded you ;)

Or maybe not - the only reason they have eight tentacles is it takes more than two to scratch them

:laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014You two have really brightened a very grey dull day. You're both happily bonkers.:xmas-smiley-016::hurray:

Back