Nuc boxes poly or cedar.

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a difference between the way they use propolis in wooden boxes compared to polys .... ?

Polyhives tend to not have any gaps/rough edges so the bees just collect less of it. I see very little propolis (perhaps race related) and the only place I do see some is over the joints, sealing the plastic sheet (coverboard) down in autumn and a little on the frame runners. I am talking about small amounts though.

When boxes are tightly together, mostly it is burr between frames between two boxes.
When situation is bad, you must take them apart frame by frame.

Not to mention improved survivability.

If there is one truism in beekeeping it is this:

Dead colonies collect no honey.

PH

I've decided to stick with wood boxes. I don't want to bring more plastic into the world.

I can mend it again and again and when the end comes it will keep me warm for 20 minutes.
Wood is good enough. Not the best insulator and National boxes in cedar are designed more for the beekeepers benefit than the bees comfort. And I'm not doing this for profit. Ifthey build up more slowly and ultimately produce less honey I don't mind greatly.

OK . . .. . I'm putting on my tin hat now.

. . .. Ben

Last edited:
I agree regarding cedar nucs, I can build them myself which I can't do with the polys and cedar has such a wonderful smell when you are working with it.

I agree regarding cedar nucs, I can build them myself which I can't do with the polys and cedar has such a wonderful smell when you are working with it.

I enjoy about plastic boxes because they are not so heavy than wooden.
Back notices it.

Last edited:
I build my own poly nucs from celotex (secondhand).

All those who want to use fewer plastics:-
Stop buying new mobile phones - all plastic
Don't use a car, or bus, or train or tube or taxi - all furnished with plastic
Don't use electricity (all cabling is insulated with plastic).
Don't use online services for bee bits - bubblewrap is plastic as is the tape on boxes.
Don't eat yoghurt and butter substitutes (plastic packaging)
Don't have credit or debit cards - all plastic.
Don't watch TV - made of plastic.
Don't have blood transfusions = plasma is stored in plastic bags.

:paparazzi:

Yes, I know. I use celotex and silvered bubble wrap stuff for insulation. I could use lambs wool I suppose.

Keeping the tin hat on!

_46615551_001347056-1.jpg

No need for a tin hat, keep healthy bees and they'll over Winter in an up turned bucket.
All hives are designed for beekeeper convenience even poly ones. Build up depends on bee health and vigour and this combined with work ethic gives you your harvest, not the type of box they are in.

Poly nucs are absolutely better, because they are warm.
Brooding is good.

IT is easy to make a nuc when you split normal polybox with table saw.

Well Swarm if you believe that good on you as the evidence is rather pointing in the opposite direction.

Personally I will carry on using containers which the bees prefer. :) And thrive in better.

As I mentioned dead bees make no honey, and live bees are far more likely to survive a winter in poly than timber.

PH

Latest posts

Back