Northern Ireland Harvest Time?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nematode

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
When is the usual time to harvest any honey and then begin feeding in Northern Ireland (or similamicro climate)?

I take supers off end August and winter-feed, varroa treat, mid September. I aim to have them settled for the winter but the end of October.

Same in Cork . Once the ivy starts to flower I make sure the supers are off

Mid July in Northern Ireland was for years the end of the honey season with the exception of the Mournes (when if all things are working together you have beautiful dark honey) but with the spread of Balsman on our rivers we now have an extra month

I was getting a bit worried when I read about people harvesting and beginning feeding at the start of August. It is reassuring to hear that this may not need to be the case. I think I will stick to my original intention of harvesting near the end of August/start of september and then beginning winter feeding right away. It is good to know about the balsam. I have two hives here at home and am under a kilometre away from a bigish river. I have another hive that I was intending to bring from an out-apiary to home for the winter (more sheltered at home). I was thinking of doing this soon but I now notice, as I look at the map, that they have two rivers nearby each within two kilometres away. Maybe I should let them be for a few more weeks with the Balsam in mind?

I'm aiming to harvest around the end of August. I suppose it really depends on the weather and the nectar flow. Rosebay willowherb is still flowering well and will do for a few more weeks yet unless the weather turns nasty.

Although I do have various waterways within a mile or so of my location, I'm not aware of any great expanse of balsam. Don't think it's that common round here (yet).

I have a super on two of the hives but have not looked at them for a couple of weeks. I am curious to know if they have any honey in them. One super was half full (or is that half empty) two weeks ago and the other one was empty and new.

2011-july-31-010.jpg

Tonight I found one hive hanging out at the entrance. Strange.

I notice that the willow herb is more abundant around me now than it was three weeks ago. But, on most of the other roads I drive along it seems to have peaked a couple of weeks ago. The Himalayan Balsam has intrigued me http://www.habitas.org.uk/flora/species.asp?item=3189
Busybee, You say you are not aware of any great expanse of balsam in your area. As you are close to me then I assume the same is for me. I have no idea about what is on the rivers around me (I must walk them sometime). I am hoping that the bees might find the areas we don’t know about?

My best colony has filled and mostly capped one super and are working on drawing out a second, so I should have some honey in a month's time:cool:

The colony I requeened is not doing much - they have very few foragers around and as long as I can get them built up a bit for winter I'll be happy.

The third is possibly thinking about swarming:eek:

I notice that the willow herb is more abundant around me now than it was three weeks ago. But, on most of the other roads I drive along it seems to have peaked a couple of weeks ago. The Himalayan Balsam has intrigued me http://www.habitas.org.uk/flora/species.asp?item=3189
Busybee, You say you are not aware of any great expanse of balsam in your area. As you are close to me then I assume the same is for me. I have no idea about what is on the rivers around me (I must walk them sometime). I am hoping that the bees might find the areas we don’t know about?

Useful link - thank you.

Willow herb took a battering in the rain and wind a couple of weekends ago but is making a comeback!

There could be a lot more balsam in this area than I think.....I have not walked along the river banks for many years ( not since I used to go fishing with my dad and that wasn't yesterday!)

my bees are coming covered in white..you would think they have been dusted with flour..can anyone tell me what flowers or plants they are working on...many thanks...billy

Back