Normal for this time of year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loving_allsorts

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
This is my first year and due to inexperience I had trouble getting the feeding started in September. I wasted about 8kg of sugar and about two weeks of the month by feeding them solutions which crystallises. By mid September I had mastered the technique and was making good thick (but not too thick that the feeder wasn't working) syrup. They wolfed it down. The brood box is quite heavy and thank goodness for the excellent start to October as I was able to continue to feed. Today I hefted the brood box and it is HEAVY!. I had a quick peek inside and all but one frame is full of stores! Good Stuff! So I stuck a nice layer of 'green' insulation in the roof being careful not to block the vent hole and shut them up for the winter removing the feeder and all super boxes.

HOWEVER

I am surprised to see that while I was working the bees were REALLY busy, their pollen sacks were absolutely loaded with a vibrant orange pollen. I mean REALLY full; and about 25% of the bees were coming in with this.

Is this normal for this time of year? When I went up, after the few cold days we had this week I was expecting them to be pretty dormant. Any idea of what the pollen was because I was surprised at the quantity.

If it helps I have them on an allotment in the middle of a housing estate in Stafford, about 1/2 mile from the edge of town and countryside.

Many thanks

Mark

Likely ivy and, yes, as much as they can store. They may well still be using coiuos amounts for rearing brood. Might depend on several things - weather, forage, strain of bee for some. Some of mine were busy even in the light rain yesterday. Temperatures were not that good either, but obviously OK for the bees!

I have seen bees taking in pollen during the week to Christmas Eve before now.

RAB

yes our bees are taking loads of pollen in at the moment (every other bee) with orange, yellow, buff,and white, the activity is almost at the same as it would be in spring ! we have seen them taking in pollen as late as 20th Dec and as early as 1st Jan so i guess if the conditions are right and there is a source of pollen available they will find it, it sounds like your bees are doing well. Chris

that's good news, thanks guys. I've put a stick infront of the enterance which allows one or two max bees in and out because I had a bit of a syrup spill followed by a bit of a wasp issue.

I have an old wooden ouse guard, is it worth damaging the hive by screwing it on considering my hive isn't any where enar a barn or live stock. Am I likely to get mice nesting in there?

Cheers

Mark

considering my hive isn't any where enar a barn or live stock. Am I likely to get mice nesting in there?

Cheers

Mark

My apiary is on a hilly field that has been left wild and has been planted with native deciduous trees; no livestock or outbuildings.

Last year when the grass had died down somewhat in late autumn you could count the nearby mouseholes by the hundred!!!!

Are there a decent amount of Dahlias in those allotments? They are usually a favourite and they have vibrant orange pollen, ivy is a duller yellow.

Thanks for the responses, think I might mouse guard just incase.

Dahlias? Not that I can see, however, I've noticed my bees don't seem to be hanging about. straight up and off.

Mark

Back