Noah's Animals...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee-Key-Pur

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1+
I was watching a program yesterday with my 13yr old daughter, about the hunting for Noah's Ark and what brought about the flood.
Part way through the program my daughter asked me a question, If he took two of every animal, surely after the flood the surviving animals would have ended up inbreeding and dying out anyway, wouldn't they...
Umm, well, good question...
Answers on a post card please..:thanks:

There's always a smarty somewhere.

Could raise the same question about Adam & Eve... :eek:

Could raise the same question about Adam & Eve... :eek:

Adam and Eve is basically the story of the Hebrew people - there were other people around at the same time if you read between the lines.
The assumption that Adam and Eve were the only people around is just a mediaeval thing.

I was watching a program yesterday with my 13yr old daughter, about the hunting for Noah's Ark and what brought about the flood.
Part way through the program my daughter asked me a question, If he took two of every animal, surely after the flood the surviving animals would have ended up inbreeding and dying out anyway, wouldn't they...
Umm, well, good question...
Answers on a post card please..:thanks:

Good girl. :facts:

Deep thought again, eh!

I might wonder where all that water came from and then went to. Amazing in those days that it didn't run off the edge of the world!

As the Flood was almost certainly either a volcanic eruption or the flooding of the Black Sea... limited to Mediterranean area.

I believe DNA suggest we are all descending from at most 1,000 emigrants from Africa.

When Richard III was dug up in Leicester recently I was intrigued by mitochondrial DNA which was they way they were hoping to confirm his identity. So I found out what I could, mainly Wiki I think.

It turns out there was an "Eve" i.e all our mothers', mother's etc. converge on a single woman, but she didn't live at the same time as "Adam", who is our fathers' fathers' etc. And neither of them lived as sole representatives of humanity. "Eve" is also much older than "Adam".

Google "mitochondrial Eve"

I found it hard to get my head round it all but it does seem consistent with a sudden human die-off with few survivors, containing 1 patriline but several matrilines.

As to all the water, just call me Noah:
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21551&page=3

The discrepency between ages suggests two obvious situations:

1. The genetic clocks used for assessing mitochondrial and Y chromosomal DNA evolution need "correcting"

or

the better explanation:

2. mitochondrial DNA is inherited by both males and females in a lineage so truly reflects original ancestry BUT Y chromosome only found in males so only reflects most recent common male ancestor. The relative youth of adam would therefore suggest a genetic bottleneck - whereby only one male lineage, from a pool of many, survived.

NB great story re Northern elephant seals (from the gabby dover evolutionary genetics team) - hunted almost to extinction for oil, Royal society expedition around 1910 estimated only 20 individuals left BUT still shot a few and brought remains back to UK. DNA analysis of the skins and samples bravely taken from modern seals also suggested a bottle neck in that period and similar no. of survivors/founders of modern population.

As I remember it people who believe the Ark story claim that animals evolved into different kinds once they hit dry land. So cats evolved into different kinds of cats; loins, tigers, tigger etc.

Adam and Eve is basically the story of the Hebrew people - there were other people around at the same time if you read between the lines.

Must have been. The Adam and Eve is a pub in Norwich so they would have to have had customers.

I though DNA had been tracked back to Africa.

A scientist once told me that some of his collegues think that evolution may not have been possible, due to how many years it takes for one creature to evolve into the latest model..All the changes could add up to longer than it is believed the earth has existed, but non of them dare voice their opinions, because they dont have an alternative explaination.

And if there were bees on the ark, did Noah understand the 3 feet/3 mile rule? Or maybe the bees stayed in as it was raining?

I believe DNA suggest we are all descending from at most 1,000 emigrants from Africa.

So they say

But if you look recent genemapping from Australian aborginals, American aborginals, and so on, many waves of human migration have emerged to rest of world from Africa and during thousands of years. America has got 4 human migration waves.

Interesting is genemapping from British Isles

The Irish have come from Spain, Scotch have come from Germany and Norway, English from Germany

And if there were bees on the ark, did Noah understand the 3 feet/3 mile rule? Or maybe the bees stayed in as it was raining?

When we look my age mother and father marriages, the gene migration has been on rural area " inside the range of resonable bicycle trip"

1621-4055_web.jpg

Translation by google

In the 1920s generalized bicycle was initially highly masculine tool of the game. On the merits and purchased a bicycle suitable young person's life a symbol of independence, for example the transition from childhood to adolescence just like a moped or car in later decades. Bicycle of rural boy expanded the scope of life, livelihood opportunities and participation in the activities of the organization. Bicycle prestige pointing to is the fact that it often got a photo with his owner.

Last edited:
Surely in this case God steps in at the point of mitotic division to provide enough viable mutations to avoid harmfull inbreeding effects.

Latest posts

Back