No more nails

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, my husband has suggested I use No More Nails for some small equipment (i.e. Not to hold an entire hive together). Has anyone used it or know whether it might be harmful? I guess some use wood glue anyway.

Why?
Does he keep hitting his thumb?! :D

I'd wonder if it was a cost effective alternative.
Panel pins for frames, for example, aren't exactly expensive.

Don't know what's in it to say whether or not the bees would find it tasty.

Tool station D4 works great so far. Cheap too : )

I don't think No More Nails would work well with close fitting parts, it's a bit thick. I use Titebond 3, it seems to work well. I guess it depends on what the parts you are glueing are.
Nick

I dob a bit of gorilla glue into the joints of my boxes before nailing. Don't put too much in though because it expands and squished out of the joints!

Hi, my husband has suggested I use No More Nails for some small equipment (i.e. Not to hold an entire hive together). Has anyone used it or know whether it might be harmful? I guess some use wood glue anyway.

I've just looked at the instructions on a 'No More Nails' cartridge - which I've never used - and under 'General' it says (in bold type): "Do not use No More Nails in permanently damp or wet areas."
Which describes the inside of a beehive pretty well ...

So, it's clearly not intended for outdoor use. Suggest you use Toolstation's D4 (which is what I use), Tite-Bond 3, or any other similar wood glue rated as being waterproof or at least water-resistant.
Hope this helps.
LJ

PS: This is an example of the strength of D4 glue - this butt-jointed frame is held together with just glue - no nails or screws, yet can support a 56lb weight - far in excess of it's normal loading:

23vx1cz.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to use it to fix the rhombus excluder to the crown board as I still can't see how else to fix that permanently and securely without trashing the board (and I don't have a staple gun). I've got a crown board with some mouse damage so I've removed the wooden bit on one side and was going to replace that all round it with wood that is about an inch thick to give enough room. So it's not going to stay in the hive for long so I guess it'll be ok.

Why? Well he's about as good at DIY as me so it's made for him.

Speaking of glue - can you recommend a suitable glue for assembling a brood box?

Speaking of glue - can you recommend a suitable glue for assembling a brood box?

D4 from Toolstation - very cheap, waterproof and sticks like the proverbial. Titebond 3 is in a world of its own - but signifcantly more expensive. Gorilla Glue is good but not cheap ... Middle of the road .. Evostick water resistant (the one in the blue bottle) works very well.

I just push them through the holes on the edges of the rhombus into the wood of the crownboard. Seems ok so far. Maybe I am not understanding what you are asking.

For the rhombus board, if ply is quite thin, too thin for a screw, you could drill some small holes through & secure with wire. As said, drawing pins would also work, bend the end over if it doesn't feel secure.

No more nails would work fine for a rhombus on clearing board.
OR
If you really don't want to use woodscrews then you could drill 3mm holes and use M3 nuts and machine screws. That way you can take it off again if you need to. If the bees don't like the holes they will propolis them.

D4 from Toolstation - very cheap, waterproof and sticks like the proverbial. Titebond 3 is in a world of its own - but signifcantly more expensive. Gorilla Glue is good but not cheap ... Middle of the road .. Evostick water resistant (the one in the blue bottle) works very well.

Just ordered a litre of D4 for <£10 of Amazon. I usually use blue Evostick... is it significantly better?

Back