Nicest days extracting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy_bull

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Yesterday I had one of the nicest days extracting I have had since I began keeping bees 20 years ago, at the moment some of my bees are 60 miles away from base on borage and I would normally go down take off the supers, come back, extract and then go back down again with the empty supers... not very fuel/time efficient.

So I thought if I don't bring the honey to the extractor, i'll take the extractor to the honey, so a few screws and straps later I had mounted the extractor on the trailer.

I then got the supers and had a full days extracting under the shade of the trees with a cooling breeze, getting the supers off was a hot and sweaty time but did it a 5am but it was still 17degrees!

Warning if you are of nervous disposition please don't scroll down....Topless beekeeping!

And no I am not naked, I have shorts on!!!!

I took one or two supers off each hive to free up some space; 45 supers off to give just over 900lb of borage honey, the trailer was a bit cramped but certainly worked well as long as the extractor was well balanced when loaded, it got a big wobble on if it wasn't!

C B

Looks like you've been foraging on Balsam. Lol

Very jealous, of the crop. Well done.

Great days work CB. How did you power the extractor, inverter or generator?

Long extension lead, I considered using a generator but drove the supers 5 miles back to my Mothers house and nicked her electricity!

Is that an Abelo extractor? If so, are you happy with it?

Long extension lead, I considered using a generator but drove the supers 5 miles back to my Mothers house and nicked her electricity!

Ah! I was wondering how you'd not been mobbed by bees!

I've posted this before but thought it needed another airing.
This was taken in Turkey and they extract on site !!!
You can see their extractor just behind the beekeeper

I've posted this before but thought it needed another airing.
This was taken in Turkey and they extract on site !!!
You can see their extractor just behind the beekeeper

It seems to me blue is the colour in certain parts of the world. Anyone know why?

Job lot of cheap paint?

... and this is my 2,000th post! :eek:

It seems to me blue is the colour in certain parts of the world. Anyone know why?

I think its something to do with good luck, I know that houses and churches in Greece are painted this light blue colour.

I think its something to do with good luck, I know that houses and churches in Greece are painted this light blue colour.

In Greece its the national colour. Which might have lead to 'anything else' in Turkey!
But oddly, I'm told that the ancient Greeks, strangely, didn't have a word for 'blue'. Which lead to Homer's "wine-dark Aegean" ...

Blue is actually a good colour for bee vision.
Its a good choice for distinctive (different for bees and humans) patterning at hive entrances to allow returning bees to distinguish their own hive among many. But that doesn't look like the case in Erica's photo. Probably just a nice colour and bought in bulk ... a couple of times, and thus not quite matching!

Back