Newbie buying a suit-Which type?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia9801

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am about to buy a protective suit and was wondeing whether to buy the sword fencers design as opposed to the more traditional round hat type.:rolleyes:

This got me confused and did not want to make a mistake so was wondering which one the experienced bee keepers recommend?

Whats your advice?

Sword fencers (astronaut?) hood much more popular.
Buy cheap and buy twice, so I would advise BB Wear which i rate as excellent.
Sherif also make v good suits.

I agree about the fencer style hood. I would also suggest buying the lightweight suit, it is much much cooler to work in.

I've got a hat, and sometimes find it sits too far down in front of my eyes when my bee buddy, who's a lot taller than me, holds a frame up for us both to look at. On the other hand, when we're looking into the sun, my eyes are shaded while his, in his fencer type, aren't. It's swings and roundabouts. Try them both on and see which feels the more comfortable.

I would also suggest something with pockets, they are dead handy for resting a hive tool, or cage and marking pens.

I've got a hat, and sometimes find it sits too far down in front of my eyes when my bee buddy, who's a lot taller than me, holds a frame up for us both to look at. On the other hand, when we're looking into the sun, my eyes are shaded while his, in his fencer type, aren't. It's swings and roundabouts. Try them both on and see which feels the more comfortable.

:iagree: but buy the best you can, Veils are the first to go on cheaper suits.

Last edited:
From a price perspective I am enjoying my Lyson one. Circular veil.

PH

Its comes down to preference. I have a fencer/astronaut type because that is what I started with for some reason. Traditional style may be better for me but I have never had the opportunity to try one that fits and I'm not willing to spend the money to find out. Try the different styles on if you get the chance.

Fencer style IMO, BBWear are good suits which is what we use (lightweight version) although we are trialing some similar suits we bought in Australia.

ours are the bbwear ones also. I did start with a cheaper version off ebay, but the veil started splitting - definitely a false economy.

With the fencer style hood we can roll up the suit into the hood, so the veil keeps its shape and is protected from squashing.

i am still using a veil and cheap hat i bought,works fine for me

ours are the bbwear ones also. I did start with a cheaper version off ebay, but the veil started splitting - definitely a false economy.

With the fencer style hood we can roll up the suit into the hood, so the veil keeps its shape and is protected from squashing.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I wear a baseball cap under the hood. This keeps the veil from my nose when the wind blows (little bees have a knack of choosing that precise moment to have a go at stinging!)

ah, that's a good idea not worthy will try that, mine just tends to flop everywhere (and the hood :eek: :smilielol5:)

round style veil for me, the fencing type can collapse and touch your face. I know you can wear a baseball hat underneath, but who wants to wear an IQ reduction kit?

ah, that's a good idea not worthy will try that, mine just tends to flop everywhere (and the hood :eek: :smilielol5:)

:eek: no photo, please :biggrinjester:

Meanwhile, getting back to the OP - I have both styles; one from T'ornes and one from Sherriff :)

I have both, prefer the fencer type but make sure the support bands aren't caught in each other - that's the way to get a sting on the nose!

I find the round hat type sits too low over my eyes - of course could just be a bad fit.

I bought a cheapo from ebay last year. It was OK as far as material goes but 1 zip fastener on a leg broke off, as did the toggle thingies are attached to the zips.

I just bought a BB1 from B Bee Ware. Their service is excellent as I bought the wrong size and within two days had a replacement. They are lighter than the first suit but very good protection and easy to clean.

Also got a free pair of leather gloves which come in handy in the OSR season ;)

I bought a cheapo from ebay last year. It was OK as far as material goes but 1 zip fastener on a leg broke off, as did the toggle thingies are attached to the zips.

I just bought a BB1 from B Bee Ware. Their service is excellent as I bought the wrong size and within two days had a replacement. They are lighter than the first suit but very good protection and easy to clean.

Also got a free pair of leather gloves which come in handy in the OSR season ;)

Oh, yes, me too - forgot to mention that - got free gloves with my Sherriff :)
Suit, that is.
They didn't send a real sheriff. Sadly.

My BB Wear suit is my best friend because it makes me feel so secure. Really important as a beginner to know your suit will hold up. As others have said, wearing a cap keeps the fencing veil off the nose and gives an extra layer on the bonce. I also have a cheaper one from fleabay, as a back up and for helpers, but you can instantly tell the difference, thicker cheaper fabric and generally not as well made.

Ive got a Sherriff and a BB Wear, the Sherriff is slightly better quality but is slightly more expensive. Both suits are really good.

Buy quality or you will end up buying twice

Back