new member intro.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laird austin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hi i just thought i would put an intro up as i am new to the forum and bee keeping in general.

i have had an interest in self sufficiency and also bees for a long time but only recently decided to take the plunge and start to learn some more with the goal of having a few hives of my own. (plus all the family cost me a fortune each year buying honey as we all love it lol )

i intend to build my first few hives myself and am looking at using the top bar design, to this end i have managed to get some really good basic plans for top bar hives, which should not task my limited skills or screwed up body too much :blush5:

one reason for this is i am partly disabled (with bad shoulders and back) and my youngest lad who also is interested spends most of his time in his wheel chair due to his condition too. i have over the last few months been reading as much as i can online and in this forum and have also acquired a good collection of bee keeping books for my library with more on the way (much to the annoyance of "er indoors"). i will also be joining my local association some time next month (either totnes or torquay)to help increase my knowlage base to a point where i feel comfy to get my own bees, being a fast learner with a lot of time on his hands i dont think this should take too long.

the other reason for building my own hives is due to a very limited budget, and hopefully it will let me save more to buy in my first bee's (must admit i was shocked at just how much a swarm can cost) so it will be an exercise in beekeeping on a shoestring/ low budget.

so please excuse me if i ask some basic or what may seem silly questions along the way, but we all have to start at the beginning sometime. and any help or advice will be gratefully received.

finally i was wondering if there was any bee keepers in my area (brixham, south devon) that may be able to help me gain some extra practical experience helping them out later in the season.

thank you for your time in reading this

Welcome - I hope it works. We are both disabled - but we find it a wonderful hobby. We are in East Devon, if you ever fancy a visit in the summer...GOOD LUCK!

i will also be joining my local association some time next month (either totnes or torquay)to help increase my knowlage base to a point where i feel comfy to get my own bees, ...
... due to a very limited budget, and hopefully it will let me save more to buy in my first bee's (must admit i was shocked at just how much a swarm can cost) so it will be an exercise in beekeeping on a shoestring/ low budget.

Welcome, just join in.
The forum is more tolerant of lack of knowledge than it is of unwillingness to learn! Its fairly relaxed, but I ought to point out that there is a distant and dusty pigeonhole intended specially for introductions ... (don't worry about it!)

Cost of bees. A swarm should be VERY cheap (if not free), but it is possible to pay fancy money for pedigree stock. Your local association ought to be the people to help out with swarms and cheap but hopefully reliable mongrels.

Others will be able to tell you about the local association's attitude to TBHs. Some can be very old-fashioned. Don't expect everyone to be an enthusiast! You've probably noticed that this forum has a section dedicated to TBHs where specifics can be discussed.
Welcome - and good luck with the forum 'search' function! :)

Last edited:
Hiya laird, I won't try and put you off top bar hives by telling you of my disastrous first year with them! Hope you have better luck than me with them......Good luck and welcome....

Welcome :). tbh are ideal for people with all sorts of disabilities. No heavy lifting although you need to think about your roof design (a 3ft tbh really isn't big enough for "modern" bees - but a 4ft roof ain't no joke, I know of what I speak) and the best height for your comfort.

You won't get as much honey but likely plenty for your needs in time, but you'll have great fun - especially if you build in an observation panel.

Welcome

I make TBHs from pallets: which is about as cheap as you can get.

If you want any help or assistance - from afar I am afraid - please don't hesitate to pm me.

I've got 6 xTBH and 2 x warre - not all occupied_ and am in my third year so now aware of the vast amount I don't know..:banghead:

Best wishes from me.

There is a TBH section and you will also find it a zone I for one keep clear of as I have no experience of them so....

You will find though that beekeeping is a wonderful hobby, rewarding on many levels, and you will also meet some great people.

all the very best,

PH

Welcome Laird, we all have to start somewhere and sounds like your plan is a good one. Agree with comments about size/roof though. Also true that some associations and bee inspectors have a less than helpful attitude about TBH's but nowhere near as bad ad as Warres. I know a few people who use TBH's and they seem happy. Keep checking into this forum, its brill.

Laird

I have 2 x 4 foot hives. Virtually impossible to remove the roof on your own unless you are very strong or have long arms.

I mounted mine on hinges and with a couple of ropes to hold the roof from toppling from the near vertical opening and closing is easy.

If you want pictures of how to bodge it, please ask and I'll post them...

I have 2 x 4 foot hives. Virtually impossible to remove the roof on your own unless you are very strong or have long arms.

I mounted mine on hinges and with a couple of ropes to hold the roof from toppling from the near vertical opening and closing is easy.

If going the hinge route, what's the problem with simple counterweights on arms?

But whatever strategy is adopted, the lighter the roof the better, for reducing the physical effort involved - while bearing in mind the wind-catching ability of an upright open roof!

Latest posts

Back