New Beekeeping Technique

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 10:19 he says "...they swarm and they requeen with our Drone Bank here...(points to a hive in the background, covered by a blue transparent sheet, maybe fabric?)..."

What is a Drone Bank in this context?

I understand the concept of storing Drones inside a Box and taking them out to err ... milk, for Instrumental Insemination, but this is clearly not what is being referred to; it appears to be Open Mating, in which I think he is flooding the area with his Drones: Is this Drone Bank maybe a Hive with lots of Drone Foundation / Brood from a calm Queen, so the calm genes are passed on? Just a guess, if anyone can shed more light on this (by correcting me) I would appreciate it, thanks.

At 10:19 he says "...they swarm and they requeen with our Drone Bank here...(points to a hive in the background, covered by a blue transparent sheet, maybe fabric?)..."

What is a Drone Bank in this context?

I understand the concept of storing Drones inside a Box and taking them out to err ... milk, for Instrumental Insemination, but this is clearly not what is being referred to; it appears to be Open Mating, in which I think he is flooding the area with his Drones: Is this Drone Bank maybe a Hive with lots of Drone Foundation / Brood from a calm Queen, so the calm genes are passed on? Just a guess, if anyone can shed more light on this (by correcting me) I would appreciate it, thanks.

It would have to be more than one hive with some drone foundation to flood the area with drones and open mating Another video below with the same technique and a better description. https://youtube.com/watch?v=8WSJRpjpKzQ
The drones would also come from calm hives.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back